Forum Navigation

Search

Old 02-10-2000, 09:17 PM

Boca Paila

I will be in the Yucatan in April on a family (non-fishing) vacation but might have a chance to do a little fishing. First question - We will be in Akumal/Tulum, without going offshore, is there any fishing off the beach? Second, has anyone fished Boca Paila, either the flats or the ocean side and can you offer any tips? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot. Mike
Old 02-13-2000, 10:43 AM

RE: Boca Paila

A few years ago I stayed in playa del carmen and had a trip booked at boca. Well the night before, the local cuisine took hold and I was off and running.....often. In the morning I had to cancel my spot on the boat, but later on in the trip, we drove down to a small beach club,where you had to pay a dollar or two to access the beach. There was a small bar/restaurant there and a beautiful, beautiful, beach where I caught a bunch of small cuda. And I think it was in akumal. I don't have a detailed map of all the towns in that area, but it was in that vicinity. This particular beach had strait regular shoreline, very non descript as far as fishable character goes, accept it was did I mention beautiful?
I,d throw my line any where around on that coast, there are probably more than cuda around. If I find a map I'll write back and try to be more specific. ron
Old 02-15-2000, 01:00 AM

Hey Fishboy- Tulum is only about 20 min above Boca Paila-I have fished there and had some real good shots at big permit and caught some bonefish but was fishing wth a guide out of Punta Allen. It is 1 1/2 to Punta Allen from tulum on quite a bad road, but that is the nothern edge of Ascention Bay which I had fished alot and love it. If you have the dough you can book a guide at Boca Paila Lodge for the day-Probably $300 but worth it and convenient. there are a few flats around there but have never found the conditions right to catch fish in 6 times I have been by there. blind casting from the bridge has not been very fruitful. good luck
Brendan
Old 03-03-2000, 04:05 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I fished Boca Paila with my pop and brother maybe 10 years ago (from what I've read, its still pretty much the same spot).

From the beach on the ocean side, we'd get shots at big cuda and small jacks. I've seen video of folks after big tarpon there too, but we didn't see any while we were there.

For the flats side, I agree with another reply you should get a guide. Need one to get to the places with the best fish.

We had numerous shots at permit big and small (I took my first one there, small).

There are some spots further towards the ruins (away from the ocean side, when you start getting into areas with deeper water and mangroves at the edges) where there are shots at tarpon, small to mid size. I got to jump a few small ones (10 pounds or so) but lost em, but my pop had shots at a few larger ones.

The bonefishing was quite good. Lots of long flats (and muds between them if you have a day without sun). Not a lot of bonefish, and not that big, but lots of variety and really incredible sights. The bird life in the area is very varied and interesting. Look for the hordes of pink flamingos.

If you are going to be there, I definitely would recommend taking the time to fish the spot and trying to arrange for a guide ahead of time.

Peter R

Old 04-15-2000, 09:01 PM

Hi Fishboy Sorry to be so late in posting this, I have been hideing in Punta Allen all winter if it is not too late i have good conections in that area. Can have a guide meet you with boat at the bridge. You can e-mail me at mcclarenserv@hotmail.com
Old 06-13-2000, 10:44 AM

Again, too late for Fishboy but just to add to the general fund of knowledge. When I was at Boca Paila a number of years ago there were tarpon cruising the beach breakers on the north side above the Boca. I saw them and I hooked them. Casting poppers into the boca flow was good for cudas and possibly lots more like jacks and tarpon but I didn't do very much of that because we had guides for the flats all day. But you could see lots of big fish holding in the breaker waves on the bar of the boca during strong outflow. That mouth is where I would look for fishing if I went down there alone and without a boat/guide. I also hooked a permit on a soaked live crab just above the bridge after a wait of maybe 10 seconds just bind casting.
But if at all possible, get a guide and a boat. This is the best place in the world for beginners at both bonefishing and tarpon.