Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-08-2001, 12:52 PM

Stripers on the fly

Hope to be around Three Mile Harbor or Shelter Island this weekend and was curious about fly selection and leaders. The R-T report suggests they're nailing them with poppers--can anyone recommend a particular type? Also, I was lucky enough to be on the water Wednesday (took the day off) and saw lots of blues near or below the surface. Given the presence of blues, what kind of leader would you recommend for the stipers--will they go for a wire leader and, if not, what do you do to save your flies? Finally, the blues seemed to be active on the outgoing tide. What about the stripers? I've heard very early morning--is that regardless of tide?

(Not that I have anything against bluefishing, but I'd love a few stripers.);

Thanks for any advice...
Old 06-08-2001, 05:32 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

RE: Stripers on the fly

I use 6 feet of 15lb flurocarbon for stripers as a leader. Does the trick. Some people say they need a tappered leader to make a good presentation, but I find this works very well. They are stripers after all not trout.

For blues, I tie on a 3inch wire leader. I also tie flies closer to the hook shank leaving a little room for the toothy critters. I am not familiar with this area, but match the hatch. Use something similar to what they are feeding on. If it is herring, use some olive colors. If it is glass minnows, use small epoxy flies. If you are going to run into bluefish bring more than one fly, the tend to chew up a fly quickly.

Hal