Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-11-2001, 12:02 PM

Peconic & Gardiners Bay

Fished the bays with pretty good results from 6/8 - 6/10. Friday evening saw a very nice bite happening in Plum Gut, mostly blues of varying sizes. Nice way to end a work week. Late Firday night/early Sat morning nailed a few large bass between North Haven and Shelter Island. Incoming tide, nice moon, good breeze, all textbook stuff here. Saturday morning, I found myself out at the race, fishing those enormous submereged boulders with depth charges and big Yak hair flies. The natural motion of the hair and strong current ripping through made for a ggod morning. While my flies seemed alot bigger than the bait, the bass couldn't help themselves with my tasty morsels. I'm alaways amazed how hard some of these pigs run after you lace into one. For the most part, they just hide behind the boulders, out of the current, waiting to pick off any vidals that come there way. You'd think after they gorge themselves like they do, they wouldn't be able to run like that.

Saturday afternoon, the wind died and I figured I should get some face time with my wife. Ended up helping a friend launch his boat. What should have been an hour turned into four. Realized after he got it in the water that he hadn't winterized it properly. Spent most of the ime cleaning fuel lines and spark plugs of excess oil. What a bummer.

Fished the ruins off Gardiners early sunday morning. Managed one fish, albeit a VERY healthy and strong Bluefish. I thought it was a bass the entire time. I was casting poppers into the rocks and got a hit right when it landed. Stripped the line once and this enourmous dark fish inhales my fly. As soon as I set the hook, he took off and kept going. I had to fire the engine up because I thought he was going to spool me! Needless to say, what a thought was a very nice bass turned out to be a bruiser blue, biggest I've seen this year.

By the way, did anyone else see those 8 Navy cruisers performing manuevers near Orient on Sunday morning? I've never seen them out there. Anyone know what they were up to. My buddy was joking that some horrible creature had escaped form Plum Island and they were tracking it down.

Have a good week everyone.
Old 06-11-2001, 03:03 PM

RE: Peconic & Gardiners Bay

Nice report. I was out this weekend but with less luck than you and Tuna.

Saw about 8 Navy cruisers in formation going right down the East River in Manhattan this morning as I was goint to work. Maybe the same ones!