Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-19-2001, 05:22 PM

York River in York, ME

I live nearby the York River, in York, Maine, and was wondering if anyone has luck just casting from the banks (in places where you can access)? I do have a canoe, but was looking for a way to fish quick after the kids go to bed for an hour or so when high tide is in the evening. I have seen people down near the harbor and just above the 103 bridge, but wanted to know if anyone has had luck there casting from shore.

I'm somewhat of a rookie fly fisherman, and want to do more of it this summer. Would a weighted line, e.g., Teeny 250/350 gr. be best, or intermediate (I have both? IT would seem like in the river, to get the fly down I would want to use the Teeny. What's the best fly to start with? I usually go with a chartreuse clouser or white/chart. deceiver. Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-19-2001, 05:44 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

RE: York River in York, ME

I am sure you can catch fish on the banks there. Try the last 2 hrs of incoming and/or the firts 2hrs of the fall. Don't know how deep it is?? Try a bucktail on a spinner and see how long it takes to hit bottom. I would toss that clouser or half/half a few feet away from the bank and work it up current or across. There is no doubt that fish can be caught in almost any location given the right tide/season/ water temps/ time o'day. Good luck.

-acb
Old 06-19-2001, 11:56 PM

I would start with the Teeny line when fishing the river. Both flies would be a good search pattern as well. You may want to include an olive/white clouser & deveiver also. Vary your retrieve if nothing is hitting. Start fast then slow down it down as you go until things start hitting. Watch the water see what the fish are doing. Are they busting the surface, boiling just below the surface or are you seeing flashes down deep?
Just a few thingsto keep in mind while prospecting for fish. :-);

Mike D.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:28 AM

mike
try the rte 1 bridge near bosn's landing. you can fish off of the banks to the east or west. but i have had better luck fishing the mid-tide outgoing to the mid-tide incoming right along the mud flats on either side of the bridge.
i use a type II slow sink line with an olive&white clouser to do most of my work. be careful casting near the bridge itself, there are a few mussel beds there and have lost quite a few flies to snags. largest fish taken there so far was a 24" incher.

good luck

rocky
Old 06-20-2001, 10:28 AM

I have fished the bank by Route 103 near the "wiggley bridge" over the past month and a half. I landed a couple of schoolies, but nothing over 20". That is the only wading spot I know in the river. I don't have a canoe or boat, so I am sure there are tons of places to catch fish. I have seen schools of stripers on the other side of the bridge by the town marina. Cast off the dock into the bridge pilings. Fish love bridges. I fish an intermediate line, but then again I've only caught a few fish. You can't go wrong with a chartruse and white clauser. There are pollock in the river, so try throwing those and get them down deep.
Let me know if you are looking for some one to fish with. I am new to the area,but not to fishing on the fly. We may be able to help each other out.
-John
Old 06-20-2001, 03:25 PM

John,

Thanks for the input. I did go out last night near the wiggly bridge and found my 350gr teeny sank too quickly. As I got close to the shore, it was snagging alot. I also found I better get a stripping basket. I have a canoe, and if you ever want to go out, then let's hook up. From a canoe, I have had luck around the Scotland Bridge area, and also just north of the Wiggly bridge. We could even drift the whole river on the outgoing from Scotland bridge. I've found that I'm not great casting from a canoe while sitting (hardhats would help!), but maybe with practice, I'll get better. I used to have a CC, so I'm trying to get used to casting while sitting.

email me at mgcusack@yahoo.com if you want to hook up and go out sometime. Having someone else to help hoist the canoe would make it easier.

-Mike