Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-26-2001, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Across the sound

Today my wife opted to join me for a ride in the boat. Conditions were perfect for taking her over to Martha's place and tour uncle Edger's town. On the way over we stopped to check out a little noname rip but the parlor was empty. Since I was in the neighborhood we headed out to Wasque to see what it looked like without fog. No fog and no action. Back we went dallying along the way to play with the little bluefish off Cape Poge. They tagged me several times but never was the favor returned, and I continued back across the sound fishless and starting to smell. But what light harkens on yonder horizon, Good old reliable sussonnessitt. Cast the fly, cast, the bucktail, cast the plug and what is my reward? One bluefish leaping over my offering. Now the sun is low in the horizon and the wife makes comments of "getting cold" so since I have to go slow to cut down the wind chill factor I decided to troll a hoochie. bump bump bump, the little guys are trying to grab it, several times I thing I have one on but gone it is. Finally the leader parts company with the braided line on this particular rod and gone are my thoughts of getting rid of that increasing strong smell.

Into Waquoit we go to be greated by the great schoolie action you have read about for several days. This should be a piece of cake, grab the flyrod and chuck and duck. Wife is in the way to use rod comfortable considering wind and drift. Still I manage a few hits and several near hook-ups.

Sun is setting, the wife is being quite understanding. Finally I must resort to the ultimate weapon, the chartruese sluggo. On the spinning rod it goes, cast away cast away .. bump yes they like it. Bang fish on and landed. The boat smells like a rose now and away we go to call it a day.