Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-13-2001, 01:21 PM

tippet - help

Ok,
I have been reading a lot of entries on this board with people talking about shock-tippets, tippets, flurocarbon leaders,.....
I grew up in Scotland, and there I fly fished for salmon. To do so I would tie a 10' length of mono to the end of my fly line and attach to the end of this a fly. Sometimes I would also tie a loop in the middle of the mono and attach a dropper so that I could fish 2 flies at once.

Since I started fishing for Stripers (mainly but also blues, & God willing Bonito) I have been doing the same thing as I used to do for Salmon (except for the dropper), and I sometimes use a tapered leader and tie my flies to the end of this.

My question is ... what is a tippet? why is it needed? and what knots are required?

Please help

Iain
Old 07-13-2001, 05:31 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

RE: tippet - help

Iain-

You are doing fine! Some guys add a section of lighter line or flouro. to the end of their leaders. We call this additional line tippets. You are doing fine if you cast and the fly rolls over the leader and presents it where you intended. However, you might want to think about making your leader shorter in stained water or you are fishing with a sinking line. You may want to make it longer if you are fishing for finicky bonita or false albacore.

hope this helps,

Rick
Old 07-13-2001, 11:16 PM

I'm pretty sure this is a topic were if you asked 20 fisherman you would get 20 different answers. I will tell you what I do and why. I use a "shock tippet", a piece of "class" tippet which I tie to the leader. The shock tippet I tie out of 25-30 Lb Mason hard mono, This piece is only about 3 inches long and is tied to the class tippet with a albright knot and then perma-bonded this serves 2 purposes, The first being I can fish a fly almost the whole day without having to retie a new fly onto my leader, the second reason is that if a bluefish grabs my fly I will most likely land it and get my fly back. I use the class tippet 8-12 Lb to insure that something will break before the backing if I have a big fish on and I'm into my backing. I tie a loop in the end of the class tippet and a loop in the end of my leader, this enables me to pre-rig all of my flies before I get on the water, when I want to chnage a fly it is a simple matter of a loop to loop connection. I have a hard time tying knots in a moving boat, and allows for more fishing time when I'm lucky enough to be out on the water. This would not be a good set-up for bonito or false albacore as these fish are leader shy.

Regards,

Gordon

Old 07-13-2001, 11:53 PM
Somewhere off Route 1

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. Very personal selection here...what I do is tie 3 to 4 feet of 40 lb. Maxima with a surgeons loop on one end, surgeon knot (not loop) it to 2 feet of 30 lb. Maxima, then surgeon knot it to 2 feet of 20 lb. fluorocarbon Orvis IGFA class tippet for blues and bass. The fluoro will stand up to small blues, at least for a fish or two. When after hardtails, or in clear water, I may add another 2 feet of 16 lb. fluoro class tippet, tied with a five turn surgeons knot (loop it 5 times instead of the usual 2). I use 30 lb. backing, so the aforementioned 20 lb. class tippet is lighter than my backing to fly line connection. Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2001, 12:44 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Like the others said, there are so many ways to make them or use them but definatley you need:

Flourocarbon, 25lb, 20lb, 12lb.
Tippet Material, 30lb, 40lb.

You can use either or anytime with various combo's. But you cant go wrong with at least 3 ft of 12lb flouro leading to your fly.

-acb

.by the way, the floro runs like $10 each so a good tippet selection will be bout $40-50. But well, well worth it...
Old 07-14-2001, 12:58 PM

One use of tippet is to save your leader and provide more flexibility. If you have a 10' leader it quickly becomes a 7' leader if your changing flys. By tying on a 2-3' tippet at the end of your leader it prolongs the life of the leader. Once most of your tippet is gone simply tie on a new tippet. The cost of tippet is much less than a new leader. It wasn't clear from your post, but if you are simply tying on a 10' piece of mono that is all one size from a large spool, then the cost probably is about the same.

It also provides some flexibility without having to have a bunch of leaders in your bag. If fish are breaking off simply tie on a stronger tippet. If they are a bit shy, switch to a finer tippet.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:38 AM

Thanks guys,
that cleared up some of the mystery surrounding tippets for me.
I will be investing in some flurocarbon (since it appears it can deal (at least initially) with bluefish activity, which is great since I hate losing good flies.
I will probably test-drive a couple of the arrangements that you all suggested and see what fits.
Thanks again for your help.

Iain