Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-02-2001, 01:26 PM

flyfishing cuttyhunk??

sailing to cuttyhunk on saturday and then to the vineyard and nantucket over the following week...do most of my flyfishing from the inflatable at dusk/dawn(usually at block island)..any locations for a small boat like my inflatable near the outer harbor at cuttyhunk to take a shot....
Old 08-02-2001, 01:49 PM

RE: flyfishing cuttyhunk??

First (obviously) as you motor out of inner harbor, look for birds/breaking fish (always the priority)- best chances for that are early/late low light. Next i suggest you head for Canipisit channel and cnsider anchoring up and fishing rocks in current on either side of channel-i prefer the East side but the West is also good- if tide is running too fast here you will have trouble making an appropriately appealing presentation. As a sailor I assume you will have an Eldridge available- check current status/tide and plan accordingly- when the Canipisit is roaring, its too fast- you want a dying or starting tide. Next I suggest heading easdt along Nashawena Island on Sound side. If the current is right you can drift parallel to shore about 100' or less from beach and cast toward shore-water here is relatively deep and filled with large rocks. i ofetn do quite well about 3/4 of a mile from Canipisit (you will see a rusty and small wreck on shore) fish just East of that- frankly anywhere along this shore can produce stripers even in bright sunshine. Good Luck- Captain Don ("Rhumboogie")
Old 08-02-2001, 02:43 PM

----Next I suggest heading easdt along Nashawena Island on Sound side. If the current is right you can drift parallel to shore about 100' or less from beach and cast toward shore-water here is relatively deep and filled with large rocks. i ofetn do quite well about 3/4 of a mile from Canipisit (you will see a rusty and small wreck on shore) fish just East of that- frankly anywhere along this shore can produce stripers even in bright sunshine.----

Yep...that's where I fish a lot. Although I mostly toss live eels along this shoreline, there's no reason flies wouldn't work well...except you'll want to keep an eye on the weather...it can kick up real fast around there and an inflatable might be rough to maneuver in some of the swells that roll in from SW...but if you catch a break on the weather, it's a great spot. That rusty old hull Don mentions is a good reference point & he's right, you can catch fish here anytime of day, anytide, just get in tight to shore...
Jerry Vovcsko
capecodfishingnet.com
Old 08-03-2001, 01:58 PM

thanks for the advice -I'll hope the weather holds up and be sure to post when I get back....