Forum Navigation

Search

Old 10-11-2001, 03:30 PM

Virgin Gorda

Heading to Virgin Gorda in June (honeymoon). Would appreciate any and all advice on fishing - bonefishing as well as any dolphin, kingfish, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:14 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

RE: Virgin Gorda

eddied,

i've been to virgin gorda on a couple of extended stays. sorry to disappoint you, but the bonefishing opportunities are rather....limited.
the only place i found any bones at all was on the small flats next to the Bitter End resort. the flats are small, the bones are small and spooky.
i never took any, but did have a few shots. back a few years, they had a free water taxi out there.

but, here's a tip. there's a small airport on virgin gorda. perhaps take a small plane out of there over to anegada. but the last time i was there, i had to take a water taxi back to beef island, tortola, then caught a flight on air gordo to anegada. maybe they have direct flights there by now?
i've fished anegada several times, and can attest to the quality of the fishery there. the guide's name is garfield faulkner. i've got his phone # if you're interested.
but hey, if the fishing isn't ggod, enjoy your honeymoon. virgin gorda (or VG as the local call it) is ULTRA laid back.
the best beach on the island is called savannah beach. 3 miles of pure white sugar sand, and total privacy. make sure you also visit "the baths".
Old 10-22-2001, 09:07 AM

Getting to Anageda is a little expensive so you may want to consider taking a day trip to Tortola. There is a guide on the island but his rates are pretty high $400 half day/ $800 full day. Just down from the airport (Beef Island) is a small beach (no crowds) with wadeable flats. I was told that there were no bones on Tortola but I stumbled on a school of 3 to 4 in shallow water. No hookups but this was essentially the first flyfishing of my life. The locals mentioned that tarpon can be in the area; don't know if they bite on the fly. If you don't find any bones, there are plenty of barracuda and skipjacks in the water.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:48 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

koichi,

funny you mention those flats on tortola. we used to go to tortola almost every year, and i stumbled upon those flats accidentally on our last trip there.
you drive by the Loose Mongoose (a local beach bar located on beef island), and keep going. all the time, keeping the water on your left. the water is very sheltered, and shallow. my wife and i were just out there one day, no fly rods, and i came upon a small pod of bonefish tailing in about 6" of water. it was our second to last day, and we never got back there, or back to tortola for that matter. tortola really doesn't have any bonefishing per se, but i suppose if can can find little spots here and there, why not take advantage?
now, as for tarpon. tortola has a large resident population of tarpon which always seem to be hanging in and around the west end of the island. over the years, i've hooked many, landed none! they are in the 25-60 pound class, and are often found right in the surf like large stripers. under certain conditions, when ballyhoo, and some other large bait comes in close to shore, they really feed and can be rather easy to hook. one day, i had about 25 fish, breaking, and chasing ballyhoo actually behind me right onto the beach! but, hooking tarpon from the beach, and landing tapon from a beach are two different matters. i'll bet over the years i've hooked 25+ and never even came close to landing one. but, it's still fun.
plus, tortola is a lovely place.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:54 PM

Bob,

Re: the tarpon, my first morning on Tortola I tried casting from the beach (Lambert Beach, located on the northeastern side of the island). Mostly due to poor casting and heavy surf, I never had any real shots. Eventually I gave up and went to the resort restaurant for breakast. While I was eating, the water just erupted in a feeding frenzy. It was too far from shore for fly fishing, about 200 ft, so I just sat there and watched for about a half hour. Does that seem typical of tarpon, or was it some sort of tuna/mackerel species? Also, do you think a 9 wt could handle the tarpon, or would you need to go with a 10? Thanks

I am hoping to make it down there next year,
Old 10-22-2001, 07:35 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

eddied,

the tarpon i saw were all on the west end. while, i did most of my fishing at smugglers cove. i did see schools on long bay, and saw many fish right in the surf behind the bomba shack. brewers bay had tarpon right by the road a couple times. but, i was very rocky there, and i didn't try it there.

the fish i hooked were on my 8wt. really, i don't think it would have mattered what wt rod you used. a 50 pound tarpon is a huge fish to land when your feet are planted in the sand.
the first time itried a 9" slug-go was on tortola. MAN, did those fish eat it! i was using a medium spinning rod with 17 pound test. i only had 3 slug-gos with me, and lost all three in consecutive hook-ups.

the pattern i saw was usually as follows:
pods and small schools of tarpon are seen milling and cruising in the surf line. often, the water is loaded with fry, but the tarpon seem to ignore it. when they ae in this mode, they are impossible to take. suddenly, some large bait arrives in the area, and they turn the tarpon on. when this happens, the surf literally erupts with them. when they are in this mode, they are easy to hook. just tough to land.:-);
good luck,
bob