Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 01-06-2002, 10:48 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Connecticut River Stripers - Theory

I reviewed the Thames River discussion and it reved up my curiousity about it's sister river to the south! Has anyone spent any time striper fishing the Connecticut River north of Essex? Haddam, Portland, South Glastonbury? How far north does the salt-line flow? How big is the spring striper spawning run - if any? Are we talking a spawning river for herring, shad and stripers here?

And finally - Does the Griswald Inn in Essex still have the best "drinking bar" in the Northeast?

RJ
Old 01-06-2002, 12:45 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

RE: Connecticut River Stripers - Theory

Hello,
I have not personnaly done much winter fishing in the CT river but I do no some BIG holdovers are frequently taken at the Enfield Dam. I have not tried it because of reports of it being crowded there. Spring time is awesome however. I generally start first week of April. Wading the flats in front of Gris point can yield some excellent fishing Peaking in June. Problem there is access. Best way in is by yak launching from Great Island boat launch. Wading this area can be interesting. You can wade 50- 100 yards out depending on the tides and exact locations. It is not uncommon to have fish right at your feet literally. I have had fish come clear out of the water chasing my fly at the end of a retrieve as I am picking up my line for the next cast. Talk about heart a striper induced heart attach. If you don't mind wading in 4' of water and having fish (and there predators!!) swimming at your feet, definately try this area. TIP: The Salmon river can have some nice Striper action in the Spring also. But thats a secret.... :);

P.S. the Gris is still jamming! The Black Seal isn't to bad either!
Old 01-06-2002, 07:23 PM

IT AMAZES ME THAT I HAVEN'T GIVEN THAT AREA ANY THOUGHT. I WORK IN DEEP RIVER, BUT DON'T HERE OF ANY STRIPER ACTION IN THIS AREA. (MIGHT NOT BE TALKING TO THE RIGHT PEOPLE). IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO/ACCESS INFO LET ME KNOW. ANYONE KNOW ABOUT FISHING THE POWER PLANT IN MIDDLETOWN? I WOULD THINK THAT WOULD BE BOAT FISHING ONLY.

DAN
Old 01-07-2002, 07:49 AM

Where is Gris Point anyway? With regard to the striper action in the Connecticut, there is a pretty good spring/early summer run that extends all the way to the Holyoke Dam and beyond. A few years back, there was even good fishing in the Wesfield River. I think that the fish are after herring which are also abundant at this time of year. The fishing above the Enfield Dam seems to be closely tied to the water level, with the best upriver fishing with higher water. The comment about winter holdovers at the Enfield Dam is interesting and the area may be worth a try. Just yesterday, I saw hundreds of gulls in a frenzy feed just below the dam as I was crossing the 190 bridge.