Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-14-2002, 02:12 PM

Question Fly Rod Holders

I am looking for fly rod holders that will slide into the existing rod holders on my boat. I have a center console with 4 built-in rod holders made to accomodate the butts of standard casting rods. I have racks under the gunwales, but find them difficult to use when running-and-gunning false albacore and bonito. I'd like the rods to be in the tubes right in front of me, easy to grab. Short of making my own retrofit out of PVC, can anyone recommend an off-the-shelf holder? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Somewhere off Route 1

I don't know of anything that will fit inside your existing holders, but Bean carries this "Bluewater Rod Holder" which is what I have. I'd recommend it.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...777&sc1=Search

This is a big link, but the item number is: TA29501 or search on Bluewater Rod Holder.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:34 PM

Rockfisherman- I actually bought one of those. I hesitate to install it for fear that one of my kids will knock it off and I'll have a couple of good holes in the gelcoat! The alternative is to strap the Bluewater holders to 1 1/4" PVC that will slid into the existing holders. Before settling for that alternative, I thought I'd ask the Forum group if anyone knew of an all-in-one. Thanks for your reply!
Old 05-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Somewhere off Route 1

You must have a new boat. When your boat gets older, you just say, oh well, I can always fill 'em in. Didn't know you knew about the holder. Fly rod holders can be relatively hard to find. If you don't want to drill any holes, try a Scotty fly rod holder on a rail mount. The rail mount bracket is sold separately. You'll probably have to order it on-line from Bass Pro or Cabelas. My local West Marine doesn't stock fly rod holders.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:55 PM

Thumbs up fly rod mounts

check out the bluewater fly rod holders and mount them to the side of your CC if you have open space there. I have them on my boat and can hold 5 rods vertically and easy access.
great set up..........
Old 05-15-2002, 07:49 PM

jerry rig that works great.

Here is what I did on my Grady White - It worked great.

Take a couple of 12" lengths of 1.5" PVC pipe or what ever fits into the rod holders. Put a 1" noch about 4 inches long into the top of the PVC. Slide the PVC into the rod holder and ....da..da you have a fly rod holder. Mine works great...it is all custom so you have to pick a size pipe that fits the holder snugly and create a noch that will hold your fly rod. If you get it right it will do the job - all for the cost of 24" of PVC. I get goosebumbs whenever I can beat Orvis out of a couple of bucks. It does not happen all that often.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:24 PM

Lightbulb flyrod holders

The best flyrod holder I ever used is the Downeast rod holder.L.L.Bean and Kittery trading post both have them for about $30.00. They attach to gunnel by two strong c-clamps and oped from horizontal or verticle positions.Try 'em.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:05 PM

Smile

My boat also has this rod holder set up, along the console.
I was thinking about adapting the IFLY holder type of set up.
These holders have had great results. Using the same type of set up, with the existing rod holders on the console may work out well.
I hope you get the idea.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:13 AM
I Fly

Fly Rod Holder

Take a look at www.outercapeangling.com/ifly.htm for all your fly rod holder needs.
Morehead City. NC
Old 03-15-2004, 06:30 AM

There are rod holders for fly rods that fit right into your existing rod holders. I use two in my boat. I bought them at The Powderhorn in Hyannis Ma. You may want to call them and see where they ordered them.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:24 AM

I like the Boga Buddy!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 09:57 AM

Scotty make one that work well.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:59 AM

Ez cheapo facsimile

Those holders are very nice. However, you can make the same thing in about 15 mins with a length of 2"pvc, a dremel with a cutting bit, and a strip of velcro or small bungee. Drill a couple of holes for bolts/screws and install. If you want to get fancy, mount on top of a piece of King Starboard or scrap. (Piece of Hockey stick works too.)

I have made a couple of these with "gimballed" (cut a notch) bases that fit into my rocket launchers and rod holders. These are for the fly fishing forays which are increasingly rare. All my buddies seem to want to do is drink beer and troll. (damn golfers!) Otherwise, when not in use, they fit right into the "rod holders" built into the sides of the cockpit (what the heck kind of rod is supposed to fit in there anyway?)

Slide in a piece of 2" pipe insulation and you have "cushions" for your rods.

Ditto for "boga buddy". ON a related topic. I have one of those White Synthetic Adjustable Cutting boards that fits in the rod holder. I forget the brand. Take aforementioned Dremel, and cut a small slot about .5 (use your boga to measure) inches from the edge over to one side. In my boat, the Boga hangs off the edge of the cutting board (inboard of course) and rests gently against the gunnel cushion. Always right where I need it. Cutting another slot is a good spot for a knife and my board came with a oval cut for pliers.

Won't be long now! Who has the shrink wrap-off?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:07 PM

PP sounds like you need to take a few pics and post them. So we all can learn.
Thanks

Old 03-15-2004, 12:54 PM

I Wish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE GAME
PP sounds like you need to take a few pics and post them. So we all can learn.
Thanks
I was close enought to my boat to take a few flics. PM with me a fax # and I'll send over a sketch.