Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-20-2002, 11:27 AM

Thumbs down Canal 5/19

Took me first trip to the canal this year. Got there about 1:30pm and walked around the herring run. There were a few decent fish on stringers and actually not too many people fishing.But it seemed very slow didn't see much happing.

I fished slightly west from the herring run from 3:30 to about 7:30pm with dead herring, mackrel chunks and big rubba jigs. Not one bump. I didn't see any fish taken between that time by anyone.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:38 AM
Ban Sluggo's

we fished west of the run sat am and sun am...couple of 3-footers and some sublegals to show for it...saw a 48" 37+lber taken sunday am right next to us just before the slack (from my spot )
Old 05-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Isn't it illegal to keep stripers on stringers?
Old 05-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Ban Sluggo's

illegal to keep live stripers on stringers...
Old 05-20-2002, 03:13 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Fished the west tide from 6:45 a.m. on Sun a.m with live herring at the East end because I couldn't find room anywhere else. Very slow. A couple of 26" fish and a couple of screaming runs only to set the hook after counting to about 10 and must have pulled the herring right out of the fishes mouth. Anybody else having this problem?? I'm starting to wonder if they are small fish or circle hooks just not working. By the sound of the line screaming off I don't think they are small fish. Anyways couldn't leave without trying the East tide. 2-3 hours after turn started hitting hard. Missed a couple of nice ones and brought home a 29" just so the wife knew I was fishing all that time.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:41 PM

What time in the morning?

What time in the morning are you guys catching the 3 footers? Sun up?

I guess that's when the big crowd is there.

When do the herring start drying up. I would think right about that time the bass will be hitting chunks and artificials pretty good. It seems most fish now are hitting live herring.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:21 AM

Buzz, I am new to fishing live herring this season. Have been about 10 times so far. I started with circle hooks and managed to catch one or two nice fish but after losing about 6 more I went to Red Top and the guys there said circle hooks may have been to blame for the lost fish. The circle hooks are hard to hook in the live fish because of the crimp at the tip of the hook, and seem to often reset themselves somewhere in the gill plate during casting making it impossible to hook a fish. This is in addition to the usual difficulties of hooking a fish with circle hooks.

I switched to live bait hooks and lost no more fish. However, a couple trips later, I managed to viciously gut-hook a 30" fish which I ended up keeping and eating even though I didn't need it because I figured he didn't have a chance. This was after 20 or so that weren't gut-hooked on other trips. My take on it is: when fishing for dinner I'll use live bait hooks when fishing just for fun I'll use circle hooks.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:42 AM

circle hooks....

I haven't been striper fishing with herring and circle hooks(I only use plastics and flies), but I may have some insight into the problem. Don't set the hook! I know it's tough in the beginning, but you will hook many more fish on the circle hooks if you don't set the hook. Just reel in until the line is tight and you feel the fish.

I fished in a bass tournament this past weekend(freshwater) and used circle hooks for the first time ever. I've read lots about them, and always wanted to try them. I was throwing a Yamamoto Senko. I had to keep reminding myself not to set the hook when I got a bite. Once I learned to hold back the hookset(after many missed fish), I began connecting with them. Give it a try and post your results. Any circle hook users out there agree with this advice? I certainly worked for me. Tight lines everyone!
Old 05-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

I don;lt usually use circle hooks but I couldn;t agree more with your advice...do not set the hook. The completely counteracts the design of the circle. Just let the fish do the work. You were right, you were pulling the hook right out of thier mouths. The hook is designed to set itself usually a lip set with minimal pressure. Tension on the line should be enough, a quick jerk of the line and the hook will miss...
Old 05-21-2002, 03:02 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thanks for the advice! It is instinct to set the hook to some degree but I will try just reeling in. Herring should be around another 2-3 weeks at certain runs