Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-02-2002, 06:33 PM

Choppers and Big Pups

Some big fish continue to be taken off the beach. Big Blues are mixed in w/ the drum. The marshes are loaded w/ plenty of puppy drum. Most boats are catching 20 plus fish during a tide. The bite on the fly has been great.

Spanish are everywhere, w/ a good # of fish of 5 pounds being taken.

The offshore report is dolphin plenty of them! One 500 pound blue marlin was caught over the weekend. Its geting close to the Big Rock.

Going fishing

Dave

www.capelookoutcharters.com
Old 06-05-2002, 02:19 PM

Cape Lookout

What are those, porpoise? Is there any fishing along the shore of Harkers Island? What comes through the pass to Cape Lookout this time of year?
Old 06-05-2002, 03:52 PM

Big Blues

Mo,

Harkers Island has some reds, flounder and speckled trout. The banks (Shackleford and Core Banks) are producing much of the fishing action. Spanish, bluefish, flounder, redfish(puppy drum), blacktips / spinner sharks, and cobia are some of fish. The tarpon should be pouring over the shaols the next couple of weeks... Look forward to giving that report. The dolphin are only 14 miles off the beach. The wrecks have amberjacks, cudas, and some small kings.

The fish in the photo are 10 to 14 pound bluefish. They were eating white decievers w/ a piece wire.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:42 AM

Dave- I will be there from 6/17-6/22, staying with my brother on Harkers. I have fished the hook before, but only for alberts- Planning on bringing 7, 8, 9, 10 w/ floaters, int., sinkers- I assume fly selection is a little less critical for most of these fish than in the fall. Also, do you try mono bite guards for blues (70 lb flouro is what we use up north) How big are the tarpon and do they eat flies?
Old 06-13-2002, 03:11 PM

Give me a call

Hey,

give me a call when u get in town, the redfishing in the marsh has been great.. Some very exciting fishing taking place this month!

252-240-2850

Dave

Morehead City, NC
Old 06-13-2002, 03:40 PM

Thanks, will do. Do I need a 7 or is 8,9,10 going to cover it? I'm really looking forward to this. My brother's place is on the back sound and I'm hoping to do some wade fishing right from there as well
Old 06-14-2002, 07:17 AM

Cool fly rods

A 7 is great for spanish and smaller puppy drum in the marsh. When the wind picks up I like an 8wt.

Some big Jack crevalles and a few tarpon are starting to swim by the priers on the beach!!!! 10 to 12wts. bite tippets 50 on the jacks and 80 to 100 for the poons.

Plenty of spinner and black tip sharks to had on a fly. Cape Lookout point to the spit has to many sharks to mention.. A chum bag in the surf will bring them in the wash zone. Single strand # 5 wire works just fine.

Weather has been great!

Have a great trip