Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-03-2002, 02:00 PM

Reasons for a kayak

I don't own a kayak, nor have I ever fished from one. My question is this: Do those of you who fish out of a yak do it because you prefer it to other boats, or is it due to restrictions of other boats ( monetary, storage space, launching alone), or because you just happen to be a paddler who took up fishing? Inquiring minds want to know (well this one does, anyway).
Old 06-03-2002, 02:22 PM
Spoiled by Tuna

Bought mine because I wanted to catch those fish that were just out of casting range. The yak was all I could afford at the time.

Quickly found out how versatile a craft it is. Easy to haul around. Can be launched anywhere. Will handle the very skinny near shore water to a couple of miles off shore. It's an ideal fishing machine... so long as the wind isn't blowing too hard
Old 06-03-2002, 04:34 PM
Somewhere off Route 1

I originally got my yak for freshwater. In RI, most of the lakes and ponds have one public access point, and the shores are all private land. The yak opened up these waters to me.

I found this translated to the salt ponds in South County where I live. Same deal.

The yak is easy to launch, can be thrown on the roof racks in 5 minutes, and is great for impromptu after work trips. It fills the gap between shore fishing and fishing from a boat.

One of my favorite rants (bear with me - those who have heard it before) is I see shore guys with $1,000 outfits lamenting they can't reach the fish, and how they envy me with the yak. My first yak cost $329 with paddle. Buy a Medalist instead of an Islander, and go yak fishing.

Oh, yeah, never used a yak before buying one for fishing.

Join us. We'll treat you well.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:53 PM

The main reason for my buying a Yak was access. Having had to fish from shore for the past 8-9 years Ireally wanted to get out to the fish. The yak does it for me. 2ndary reason was the cost benefit of it. A larger boat would have been a problem for me from storage, use and cost.
As the previous replies have stated. 5 - 10 minutes and its on the car and I'm off. Also I don't have to bother with ramp access. I pretty much launch from wherever I can get to the water.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:44 AM

Never wanted the expense or hassle of a boat so with the yak I gained access to more places, more fish, a nice environment with no crowds and exercise. When you get into some decent fish it's also pretty challenging. A bonus has been that the other yakkers I have met and fish with have been a cut above the crowd, generally.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:52 PM

I was a fisherman who wanted to be able to reach fish/locations that were not accesible by foot. I had a canoe, but found it a hassle to lug around, paddle, and it was very sensitive to wind & waves. So I sold the canoe and purchased the kayak and have never looked back. I didn't buy a power boat because of money, time, storage, and aggravation. Once you buy a kayak you never need to sink another dollar into it. You may want to buy a few gadgets, but its not the sink hole that power boats tend to be.

Why I like the kayak:
Puts you very close to the fish without spooking.
No water is to shallow or narrow for a kayak.
You can land it or launch it from almost anywhere.
Easy to lug around and put on roof of car.
Basically industructible.
Fun to just paddle even if you get skunked.
Good exercise.
No maintance.
You get the idea.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:47 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I originally bought my Kayak (last year in June) to gain access to shoreline that I could not get to due to private beach regulations. I sooned realized due to many casts at albies and bones from shore (in oct-nov 2001) that were just out of range, that the kayak would be a good application for the tunoids as well. Did not hook up with either last year. In fact did not try because I did not have the proper safety gear for those cold water situations. Or should I say "COLD AIR APPLICATIONS". This year (my 2nd season with the yak) I have tried new things with the yak such as taking advantage of the early spring access to hungry stripes. Trolling for early stripes at mouth of CT river, and learned a few new great landing spots to access great fishing from the grass not accesible from standard water craft. I also learned new respect for Mother Nature (seems to be updated every trip I take).

I also love the exercise.
My yak is a utility craft. It is very slow. But it gets me fish that I would have never had access to by any other means other then swimming or walking through muck up to my knees.

This year I will get a FA (false albacore) from the yak. And I am prepared to swim if need be...:mad:

-mike
Old 06-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I should clarify... Took many FA's....Not one from the yak...

Can't wait for the sleigh ride....
Old 06-05-2002, 06:58 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

bluewatr -
The yak is indeed a great Tunoid machine. All of my FAs have been caught from the yak and the fights were a blast. Hope to finally hook into a Bonito this year... I just keep missing em. The Cape has a great warm water/air Tunoid season. You might want to come on up and give it a try.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:20 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Sam,

I definately will come up to the Cape and give a try for albies and bones from the yak. I have yet to catch a bone from shore or yak. Got bit off last year on 10 lb flouro...

I am bringing my yak this weekend but will most likely be wading on Sat. Sunday I will be taking the yak out...

-mike