Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Boats and Electronics

Old 06-06-2002, 02:58 PM

Question 60hp repowering advice?

(Bob P: I know this probably belongs in the Boating forum but ...)

Here's my question:

I have permission to replace my old Evinrude. I need advice on what to replace it with.

The boat is a 15 center console. I'm thinking that I want to stay at 60hp, but would welcome advice on 50-70hp.

Currently, thinking of looking at yamaha, merc and suzuki. Not sure that I want to spend the money on a Honda, but maybe. 2-stroke or 4-stroke is possible depending on $$$. I'm assuming that I'm looking as $4-6K .

Interested to hear about people's experience with the purchase process, and performance/satisfaction. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by RIBill; 06-06-2002 at 03:00 PM..
Old 06-06-2002, 03:32 PM
Veteran reel-timer

Bill,

I have a 115 Yamaha that came with a used boat. I know its bigger than what you are looking for, but in terms of brand, I have not had any problems with it the two years I have been running it.

P.S. Let me know when you guys are up for a Boston Harbor trip.

Dom
Old 06-06-2002, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Talking

yup belongs here.

It at all possible go for a 4 stroke. You will really appreciate how quiet they are. Also the fuel savings will be impressive.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:59 PM

Damn, Bob, if I hadn't done that duplicate post I might have gotten away with it for a few hours... da rules are da rules

four-stroke is certainly what I'm dreaming about... I'm going to check them out and run it by the boss...

Dom: I hear great things about the Yamahas. I understand that the guides in Florida choose Yamahas by a 10:1 margin. I'm going to get serious about this in the next week or so. gotta strike while the iron is hot! Boston Hbr sounds good... I thought it was hot right now... have you been getting out?
Old 06-06-2002, 04:14 PM

RIBill,

I can get a pretty good deal on Honda's. The 2002 50hp I bought came with prop, throttle cables, remote, gas tank and was $4500.

Theres also a place that you can get pretty good deals on yamaha's as well.

Send me an email if you would like some more info.

Sagebrush.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:47 PM

Sage: I just sent you an email, let me know if you don't receive it. and, thanks.
Bill
Old 06-06-2002, 09:02 PM

Yamaha this year has 4-strokes that are almost as light as the Mercury 2 strokes. I'd spend the extra cash and go for that. I have a 1 year old merc 40 on my 13 whaler, and it runs awful! I'm actually pursuing the manufacturer right now for a refund/exchange, it's that bad. If I can get money, I'm going to buy the 40 Yamaha 4 stroke...
Old 06-07-2002, 04:24 AM

We noticed the abundance of Yamahas when we were in the Keys in March. All of our guides had Yamahas and my husband had a long discussion with one of them. They were quiet and from what he said the fuel economy is unreal. Hubby says his next one will be a Yamaha. We have a 2000 Evinrude and it doesn't like to idle so it is going back...again to let them work on it. Have had some trouble at first when Bombardier bought them out but has gotten better.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:37 AM

I would guess part of the reason Yamaha is so popular is the 115's weigh about 20% less than Honda. 400 pounds versus 510. Honda has counterbalancing shafts which make it quieter and a cast iron head or block. Honda is based on their automobile engines where Yamaha's selling point is it was built from the ground up. You could say that honda though has a history of reliability.

Most boat manufacturers would probably specify Yamaha because it will balance out better with flats boats.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:04 AM
Administrator

4-stroke, 4-stroke, 4-stroke!!

Any one who fished around Succonnesset five years ago was familiar with the sight of a man in an 18' skiff with the lid off a Johnson 30 hp, whacking the snot out of it with the end of an oar. A few unfortunates then had to offer a tow to same hapless fisherman in exchange for lots of gratitude.

I suffered with a two-stroke for six years because my father ran a Johnson and my grandfather ran a Johnson, and that's what you put on motorboats and nothing else. A series of hate mail to OMC, dealers who didn't want to know the engine, and by 1997 I was ready to repower.

I bought, on the advice of Cape fishwire correspondent Dave Peros, a 40 hp Honda 4-stroke. So quiet! So powerful! So reliable! Idles at barely a purr, so quiet I sometimes try to restart it while it is running.

Sure it was expensive, but it was completely, absolutely, 100 percent worth it. The engine is simple in terms of self-maintainance, it is indeed heavier than its 2-stroke counterparts, but all in all I have never regretted the decision or the extra cost for one second.

Go for the 4-stroke. I got mine from a now defunct dealer in Bourne, but every other authorized dealer has been great in terms of service.
dcc
Old 06-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Veteran reel-timer

Boston Harbor

Bill,

I have been out a couple of times. Lots of fish on the surface around first light. Fishing structure has been productive after the fish go down or if the surface fishing becomes too much of a circus. The ones I was getting were in the 23 to 26 inch range. But that was a couple of weeks ago. The latest reports list bigger fish and still plentiful fish.

Send me an email (listed in my profile)if you want to give it a try.

Dom
Old 10-03-2006, 10:28 AM

I have a Honda 50 on a 16ft Maritime skiff it`s a 1995 it is the one of the lighter four strokes 198 pounds. I would consider it I have had mine for two years no problems.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 PM

My recommendations...

2 Stroke:

Evinrude E-TEC 60 - 240 pounds - approx. $5800

4 Stroke:

Yamaha F60 - 237 pounds - approx. $5500
Old 10-04-2006, 08:38 AM

If you do any trolling at all stay away from the e-tec. they will blow up on you.

if you troll, you must have a 4 stroke.

If i were you, E-tec is the way to go, then just delete the word "troll" from you're vocabulary.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakwater
If you do any trolling at all stay away from the e-tec. they will blow up on you.

if you troll, you must have a 4 stroke.

If i were you, E-tec is the way to go, then just delete the word "troll" from you're vocabulary.

What is this based on? I have never heard of one blowing up due to trolling. I occasional troll with my etec 90 and leave it at idle for long periods of time while fishing certain situations I have over 700 hrs on the motor.