Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Hall of Fame

Old 07-09-2002, 11:22 AM

Thanks - This thread is dynamite!. What can anyone say about albies or bonito at Nantucket - last week of July?
Old 07-09-2002, 11:29 AM

I only fish MV, and occasionaly make it over to the cape, but heres my top five:
Bones:
1. Noman's during derby 2000 : Oh my god the bonoto!
2. Hooter any year from mid july to mid sept.
3. State Beach any August.
4. O.B. Ferry dock August.
5. Edgartown Harbor early to late 90's. - They haven't made a strong showing there the last couple years, but they used to tear the place apart.

Albies:
1. Edgartown Harbor, especially way back in the bay- When bunker were thick 2 years ago - Wow!
2. Waquoit- Sept
3. Wasque- Sept/Oct
4. Lobsterville (shore)
5. Cape Pogue Gut

only places I've caught a bone from shore are Menemsha/Lobsterville, and various points in Etown Harbor.
Ablies on the other hand can be found at most beaches with current or a channel
Old 07-09-2002, 11:33 AM

Thanks - This thread is dynamite!. What can anyone say about albies or bonito at Nantucket - last week of July?
Old 07-09-2002, 12:28 PM

Frank -
From what I've heard there is a place off the west end of nantucket called "the bonito bar" that is red-hot at the end of July & through August. I take it though that this place is strictly a boat proposistion.

From shore I'd go to Great Point. I saw them there one afternoon a few years ago at the end of July they were at the absolute tip of Great Point. There is a little jetty or rockpile on the eastern-most end of the point (or what would be the right side of the beach that you have to drive down to get there). The fish were a long cast from shore, but the schools were large and very active. I hooked up twice and lost both and I was not geared up well at all no stripping basket, no waders, only a couple of large clousers.

I have to say though that I've been back there many times since and have never seen them there again.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Bones vs. Albies .....

Bonito and Albacore may look alike (at first glance) but they do behave very differently. Inshore bonito -- as opposed to the ones swimming around the Hooter -- seem very capricious and much more random than albies, which seem to swim with a purpose and in tighter packs.

My bonito success has been random compared to albacore. State Beach a couple summers ago and I caught one on a trolled fly I was too lazy to retrieve as I runned and gunned to a breaking school (see, I don't follow my own advice to sit still). Last summer's bonito was caught right off of Cotuit in the middle of the day, in a howling wind, in a mix of bluefish.

Prozac is the answer. Fishing away from crowds is the other answer. A day with the run and gun loonies will sour me on the fishing faster than anything. Don't talk to me about the O.B. ferry dock or the entrance to Waquoit. I rather dump a box of hooks down my Speedo.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:32 PM

Albies and Bonito

I have caught over 500 albies around the fish traps at Black Point (between Narragansett Town beach and Scarborough) almost all were before mid morning. Some run and gun and some drifting in their pathway. Mostly on intermediate line. Some right in the wash with sinking line. The only thing in common was that they all were taken on small flies in red, orange or rust. Try tying a 1 1/2" rabbit strip and a little marabou on a 1/0 0r 1 hook. Make it like a keys style tarpon fly.

Bonito have been mostly the same time and place but have been taken on a bunch of flies. Flatwings etc. still small. I have only caught about 100 Bonito. as I said in RI Bonito tend to show up first and then Ablies show and move the Bonito off (to MV and Nantucket I guess)

Bonito leave the area after albies are in town. They are very competitive and albies are faster so the bonito move on.

This has been my experience for at least 8 years.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:36 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

where to win the shore lottery...

for shore spots on the south side of the cape. Where would you hit for a slim chance. I've heard bout the jetty at Dowses beach, the west bay jetty(cotuit)and the herring river in harwich and the waqouit jetty. Any other recommendations or accounts of shore caught tunoids willing to share..?? Mainly looking for albies without the use of a boat. You know, hitting the shore lottery !!

What would be the tide to look for at sunrise..... thanks.

-acb
Old 07-09-2002, 02:52 PM
Dawn on CC Bay

RI FA/bone shore locations with most consistent listed first:

1. West Wall, Jerusalem

2. Weekapaug Breachway

3. Narragansett "Pier 5"

4. The other breachways

5. Sakonnet harbor breakwater

Cape shore-based, in addition to those already mentioned:

1. South Cape beach shoreline, adjacent to the Waquoit jetty

2. The two obvious bars east of South Cape beach, especially the second one

3. Wianno inlet jetty, however parking and access can be problematic

4. Canal Mud Flats at Bell Rd

-bd
Old 07-09-2002, 03:41 PM

shore-bound cape albies & bones

Yozuri-man,

See my first post listing specific spots. All spots are where I have caught one from shore, except for the Cow Bay spot, where I caught a bonito from a kayak (although I was only about 50 yards off the beach that day)

Also, I havn't fished it myself, but I hear there are some good shore spots around Westport, while the fish are around.

- Sterling
Old 07-09-2002, 03:46 PM

bonito recipe

Quickly bled, bagged and iced, bonito make magnificent sushi.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:12 PM
Sponsor

all right guys... the place to be will be Wasque, the third week in Sept., incoming tide, early a.m. Guaranteed. ( For Albies, that is.) Just don't anchor up right on the rip! As for bones, your guess is good as mine - I don't fish for them like I used to - don't like all the testosterone flying (as well as boats). Did well on them last fall at Bonito Bar off our sister island. Early a.m. on the incoming tide... albies on the falling tide. Good luck to all!
Old 07-09-2002, 06:07 PM

Re: Bones vs. Albies .....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Moderator
[B]Bonito and Albacore may look alike (at first glance) but they do behave very differently. Inshore bonito -- as opposed to the ones swimming around the Hooter -- seem very capricious and much more random than albies, which seem to swim with a purpose and in tighter packs.

My bonito success has been random compared to albacore. State Beach a couple summers ago and I caught one on a trolled fly I was too lazy to retrieve as I runned and gunned to a breaking school (see, I don't follow my own advice to sit still). Last summer's bonito was caught right off of Cotuit in the middle of the day, in a howling wind, in a mix of bluefish.

oh yeah. i probably catch 10 albies for every bonito i catch. i'm not sure why they get written about together like they are one and the same. i think (at times) albies can be as easy as bluefish to fool-especially in places like woodshole and the canal area when they turn on to bigger baits like juvenile herring and peanut bunker. in the canal, i watch guys using canal sticks with at least 30 lb test catching them easily when they come in. maybe bonito can turn on like that. but i haven't seen it. my best day from shore was 2 bonito (caught 15 min. apart). otherwise, it's one here and one there and then wait for the albies to get my real hardtail thrill.
rich n
Old 07-09-2002, 07:38 PM
Administrator

off Tasmoo, Lackey's, Nobska, L'hommidea(sp)
Old 07-09-2002, 09:53 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

It's easy to get over focused on technique and gear with this species.... KISS....... Keep it simple......

Best of luck to you all....... Disconnect/ Gonna be gone for a while............................................. ....

-mike
Old 07-09-2002, 10:14 PM

False Albies.

Tended to be late to the party myself.

Montauk in late september early october.

September.Tashmoo (Martha's Vineyard) first shore caught fish. Did best in the wee hours before the jetty filled up. Noticed this one guy who would make a perfect cast when they showed up and hooked up very consistently. Was using a small clouser I believe. Changed my tactics and started hooking up consistently.

Menemsha lobsterville side.

Middle ground.

South Cape beach west jetty late september.