Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-10-2002, 06:49 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

This thread is a "Keppa!" For those of you who like to savor and review great threads "Sticky" has 9 pages of print on page 1 and 7 pages on page 2 so far.

My only experience with tunoids (Fat Alberts) and fly rod work was a four day period last Sept. yaking Poge Bay. I had 'em breaking all around the yak several times and could NOT get them to eat! Arrgh! Several powerboat's were running and gunning them too and I didn't see them hook up either!

Armed witht he knowledge y'all are putting out here on technique and flies I'll be doing it right this Sept. in my PUNGO!

Yaker tip. Check the tidal flow at the Chappy Bridge and ride it down into Poge Bay and back up to the bridge - fishing all the while!

Old 07-10-2002, 09:13 AM

Albie fly ranking

Here is a ranking of my most successful albie flies:

1. 3" olive & white ultra hair surf candy, little flash in the side, tied pretty sparse
2. small olive-ish mushmouth
3. small Bonito bunny
4. very small white deceiver, with flash
5. those flies with mylar bodies and rabbit strip on the back, small

for spinning gear:

1. Viva Parade - green
2. " "
3. Yozuri Hydro squid
4. Yozuri Jack Jig
5. small green swedish pimple

Having only caught 1 bonito, I'm really not qualified to talk about Bonito flies. I have nailed enough albies to weigh in though and if I had to pick only one albie fly, it would definitely be a small olive surf candy without hesitation.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:28 AM

correction

correction on above post...

when I said yozuri hydro squid, I meant to say yozuri "HYDRO METAL".

I'm referring to the small metal reflective lure rather than the big diving thing with the squid skirt on the back.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:05 PM
Dawn on CC Bay

I'm going to make a more concerted effort to stick with fly tackle for speedsters this season, but I'm curious: what's a Viva Parade?

I usually stick with white bunnies or small sparse white clousers. But I agree with others, it's more about presentation & placement than pattern.

-bd
Old 07-10-2002, 01:24 PM

viva parade

the viva parade is a lure manufactured by a company called Maria - a Japanese outfit.

They are about 3 1/2" long and amazingly realistic in size and shape. They have a holographic green scale finish on the sides, but are coated in a very durable clear hard plastic around the metal inside. This finish makes it look slightly translucent behind the scales really, really realistic.

I don't know if you can order them online, but they sell them at Coop's, Larry's and Dick's on the vineyard, but be aware the've sold out during the derby before.

I've also bought them at the marina store on the second floor off the main street in Wood's Hole.

These lures have a very seductive wiggle when retrived quickly with a slight twitching action. Last Fall on the vineyard the Spanish Mackerel were literally fighting over them off of East Beach.

Maybe I've just been in the right time and place with this lure, but I'm definitely a believer.

(Only, of course, if the fish are out of fly range or if it is just too windy)
Old 07-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Dawn on CC Bay

OK. I have a Maria jig that looks like a Yo-Zuri L-jack jig, so this is something different. Eastman's in Falmouth *might* stock some Vivas, as I'm pretty sure that's where I got the Maria jack-type jig. Worth a call.

-bd
Old 07-10-2002, 07:16 PM

I've caught FAs and Spanish macks using spinning gear, but I'm still waiting for my first bonito. Hope this is the year, especially now that I'll be flicking flies at them!

I had pretty good success on FAs using 3" and 4.5" slug-gos with no weight or a very small jig head. Best colors for me have been Arkansas Shiner (3") and Alewife (4.5"). White "pot belly" jigs have accounted for a couple as well. Most of my FAs were caught from shore from the stone pier in Woods Hole or from the jetties in East Falmouth. I had one great day catching Spanish Macks about a mile off Succonesset Beach. I've only caught one other Spanish Mack and that was from the stone pier. All were caught in September. Guess I need to fish a little earlier to get the bones!

Quentin
Old 07-11-2002, 07:38 AM

There's a good article on Albies in the Aug/Sep issue of Saltwater Fly Fishing. It's not really a "how to catch 'em" artiicle; it's about their physical attributes and their lifestyle. But it gives some good insight into how to catch 'em.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:53 AM

spanish macks

The spanish macks seem to be really hit or miss and almost always incidental to albie fishing.

Last year at our annual "Tuna Camp" on the vineyard we got skunked on FAs... couldn't find 'em from shore anywhere. After pretty much giving up after 3 days we decided to try east beach for some blues one afternoon. Walking down the beach we saw a guy walking a dog and asked him if he'd seen any fish or blitzing - he says, "oh no, no stripers or blues... just a bunch of damn mackerel jumping down the beach aways"

needless to say we took off running and found 'em. I ended up catching 4 nice ones that afternoon all on the Vivas.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:31 PM

Sterling, weren't you chunking pogies on East Beach last tuna camp? (Unfortunately I was chunking the prior evening's dinner)
Bones should be off South Cape before we know it...let's get out there some Friday in a few weeks. We gotta get you a kayak! I think Jason's off all next week. You should give him a call. I'm sure he's looking for fishing buddies.