Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-09-2002, 08:07 AM

Boat dilemma

Hey guys. Been browsing your site for a while and wonder if you might be able to give me some input. I need to figure out what to do about a boat. I troll for salmon on Lake Champlain and have just started running down to the Cape for stripers. I have a 1977 Mako 19 with no motor (blew it last year). Saw the Maritime Skiffs while I was in Chatham last week. Here is my problem: obviously I would like to have only one boat. Should I get a new motor for the Mako and and set it back up or opt out of it and look for a deal on something like the Maritime. I might need a new trailer for the Mako to tow it any distance and also replace the wiring which I can do myself. One day I think Mako and the next I think Maritime 20'. I think that either boat would fit my needs well. Would appreciate any input you might have.

Hank
Old 07-09-2002, 09:05 AM
Administrator

How's the hull...

I've got some experience with older boats...

I'd evaluate what you have on hand first. How good is the hull? The older hulls all used wood as the core for the transom and for the stringers. Wood, as we unfortunately know, does not last for ever.

Perhaps the best thing might be to get a marine surveyor or very experienced hull guy to take a look at the boat. Even if there are problems, it might be worth fixing it rather than buying new. Especially since the 19 mako is known as a good hull.

Then, if you're convinced that the hull is sound, look for a left over year or two old engine (that's new). You may find something on the web. I've had good luck with Atlantic Outboard

I've got to think that you're better off repowering and retrailering your mako.

Let's do some rough math:

New Engine - Call it $6,500
New Trailer - Call it $3k
(or replace and repack your bearings, rewire, and buy a good spare tire, $500)

Either 7k or 9.5k vs. a new maritime which will run a whole lot more...

Of course, trailering back and fourth could be a little tough on your vehicle...

Cheers,

Mark
Publisher
Reel-Time.com
Read my blog at AllThingsCahill.com
1 2 3 4 5 6
Old 07-09-2002, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the input Mark. I didn't think about the transom. Going to have it checked in the next couple of weeks. I did find a used Maritime 2090 for $15,500 with the cowling and spray dodger on it. It was used by a guide and I was a little leary of the hours the motor would have on it. The boat looked like it was in great shape though. I'll keep you posted.

Hank
Old 07-09-2002, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Best of luck...

I found out about the transom problem with my old '23 seacraft (God, I miss that boat...). I wish we'd fixed it.
Publisher
Reel-Time.com
Read my blog at AllThingsCahill.com
1 2 3 4 5 6
Old 07-10-2002, 09:35 PM

Update: found two different type trailers. A single axle bunk type for $1600 and a tandem bunk with brakes for $2200. Will probably opt for the tandem. I think it will trailer easier and the brakes are a big plus. Same place has Merc 115 4-stroke for $8500 installed with controls. That is less than I expected. The salesman told me that this Merc 4-stroke has a yamaha block. Do any of you have any experience with the Merc 4-strokes. Seems like it will be a decent deal and that type of motor would be perfect. Going to have the transom and hull checked on the Mako next week.

Hank