Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-15-2002, 06:57 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

Post 7/13 Deer Island Report

Spent a few hours at dawn exploring Deer Island for the first time with notime. We put in at the public lot just outside the plant and paddled towards Deer Island Light along the West side. We were greeted at dawn by a sizeable rip and working birds right between the light and land. notime hooked up right away on a chartreuse Clouser and I followed suit with a Bass and Blue of my own on a large blue and white deceiver. Bait was balling up and jumping out of the water but I couldn't tell what it was. Looked similar to Peanut Bunker but it is too soon for them I think. Although the rip continued through the drop, the blitz ended within half an hour after sunrise. For the next hour or so, notime trolled around and I cast into the rip with a fast sink line but didn't get a bump. As things were quite and we both had things to tend to at home, we packed it in early.

A word of caution from your over protective moderator... the rips that form in this area are strong and were producing standing waves. This in addition to being right next to the main shipping channel for Boston Harbor, can make for a dangerous combination if you tip. If you are not use to paddling against strong current, have little experience with rough water and self rescue, I would pass on this location.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:39 PM

Ditto Sam's report. It was interesting fishing out of a kayak with an ocean liner passing us and airplanes taking off nearby. This is definitely a high traffic area and one where you need to pay attention to your surroundings.

A picture I should have taken but didn't think of at the time was when a big cruize ship passed behind Sam about 100-200 yards away. I did try to get Sam with a fish on and the skyline in the background. I'll post them if they come out. I think it makes for an interesting fishing picture.

We spoke with two waders in the parking lot and they had success on the ocean side of Winthrop. This area is also productive, but easier to kayak as there is little boat traffic and no standing waves.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

they have ben running an experimental ferry from the island to South end. Wait til that thing goes by...you can surf on its wake...
Old 07-16-2002, 09:56 AM

Great pic ... glad your finding fish closer to home. We had a few spots in Winthrop which were definitely summertime "big fish" locations. That looks like a pretty good bend in notimes rod! was there any size to the bass you guys were catching. I'll be hitting up Essex bay tommorrow morning around 4 am & I'll be working the southern section of Plum Island (theres a nice Sand bar and rip across from "steep hill" part of cranes Beach) which should be nice with tommorrows tide ...but who knows things have been slow lately.

Pete
Old 07-16-2002, 10:33 AM

PeteV,

The fish I caught was in the mid 20's. I didn't measure it except against my rod. When I took the ruler out and measured my rod I was surprised that it was about 25-26". It just seemed smaller. Anyway, attached is a picture (I hope). Credit Sam with the picture.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:49 AM

Okay, how do you post pictures. I've tried several different methods and failed.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

The file could be too large. Try sizing it down some.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:29 PM
Administrator

posting pics

There are two ways. To use the IMG button you need to have your picture stored on the internet stored as a jpg file., check with your internet provider to see if they include web space.
You can upload a picture from your computer by using the attach file feature at the bottom of the form.
Click browse
find your file
click ok.

and

voila
Old 07-16-2002, 02:21 PM

Second try. Thanks Bob.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:30 PM

Sam, I don't know how to shrink the file.

Bob, I went to the "Browse", pulled up the file, hit "open" and the file became listed in the "Browse" window. I then hit "submit reply". However, it still doesn't show up in the post.

While its a nice fish, I'm not sure it deserves all this effort.

Here is notime's pic

Last edited by SamRiley; 07-17-2002 at 06:23 AM..