Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-28-2002, 08:50 AM

St. Lucia on fly/light tackle

My wife and I will be vacationing in St. Lucia in April. I have never been there before and was wondering if there are any opportunities for fly or light spin fishing from shore access. Unfortunately, hiring a guide is not an option. My wife hates boats and I can't leave her for 4-8 hours while I go off and have fun. My plan is to sneak away for a couple hours at a time and try my luck. I would probably wade or cast from a shore or jetty. Any specifics with regard to locations, fish, gear and bait/lures/flies would be helpful.

thanks everyone!!
Old 08-28-2002, 06:04 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs down

NW,

sorry to rain on the parade, but leave the rods and bring snokels and fins.
about 7-8 years back, my wife and i spent 3 weeks on st lucia.
there are NO fishing opportunities i could find. the fishing on st lucia is typical of what you find in all of the southern caribbean islands. TOTALLY FISHED OUT!
the locals have all but vacumed the waters clean of almost everything that swims.
also typical of islands in the area is the way they were formed. they are all volcanic in nature, so they literally rose from the sea. there are no flats or even many shallow areas where one can wade.

a word of caution. be careful on st lucia. high crime rate, and big time drug problem. both made worse by the extreme poverty in the cities.
don't go out at night, esp into castries or soufrierre unless accompanied by a "local" guide, or someone who talks the lingo down there. esp be careful of the friday night "jump up" festival in gros isle. locals feed the tourists spiked drinks, and the tourists wake up hours later to find themselves seperated from all their valuables and their $$$. don't go here unless accompanied by a local person who will look out for you.
attacks on tourists are all too common there, but are always hushed up by the ministry of tourism. if i were not 6'2", 250 pounds we would have been in some BIG TROUBLE one night. some locals "insisted" i buy the local ganja. when i declined, things got heated.
however, st lucia is a beautiful island, blessed with an abundant tropical rainforest.

feel free to email me if you'd like more detals.

bob_G
Old 08-29-2002, 09:21 AM

Bob-

I tried to e-mail you but your profile didn't list an address.
Anyway, thanks for the info on St. Lucia. I didn't realize it had this kind of reputation at all. It sounds like a "mini-Jamaica" - tons of crime and you can't go out at night. We're staying at a place called Oasis Marigot.

We should try to hook up for a flyfishing trip to Vineyard Sound and you can give me the low-down on St. Lucia.
Tight Lines
Peter
Old 08-30-2002, 08:01 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

hi peter,

love to get out with you this fall.
but, until then send me an e-mail at: lu-kota@webtv.net
and i can give you some more details on st lucia.

bob
Old 09-19-2002, 10:01 PM

leave the rod home.....

sorry to harsh your mellow..... but I agree with all of the above.. no fishing opportunities and heavy pressure from "Ganja man" and his croneys...(and we were honeymooning at a Sandals...... sorry to say it was a waste of thousands.... )

On a brighter note; non-fishing friends of ours have had the "time of their lives" in St. Lucia....that's why we went
good luck!!