Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New York & New Jersey

Old 09-08-2002, 09:59 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

9/6-7: Albies, blues and bass at the Point

Most seasons, I ease into the albie madness with a few slow days catching a few a day before I have any killer days. Gets me warmed up and mentally ready for the later season red hot days.

Friday I got my first albies, but it was no warm up exercise. Rather than a few albies landed, I topped 20 for the first time since 1998. I'm not complaining, but withoout a warm up start I'm like a walking zombie after two days of it (luckily for my aching body, Saturday was not quite so hot).

Friday, I hooked my first albie about 5 minutes after getting to the point. Dropped that one and the next before landing my first of the season. At this point the albies were out pretty far in the rips, but they were bunching together in good sized pods and were catchable. They were also of good size, with 10 pounders frequent, some fish to 12 pounds mixed in.

When the bite slowed there, I moved to Caswells for some more good hot albie pods, again of good size.

When that slowed, I moved to Ditch Plains for even more albies. They were much pickier there (at this point the north wind had died and it was very calm) but managed to get some, particularly on the line between brown (algae filled?) shore water and blue water outside.

When that slowed down, I moved back to the point where the albies were hot again, and closer to the lighthouse there were big bluefish feeds and maybe bass mixed in.

By 5 pm my hands were pretty beat up. I had been fishing white, gold and chartruese epoxy flies up to that point and decided to see if I could get one on a crease fly. As I finished my first retrieve, standing looking for where to cast next, a big albie exploded on the crease fly feet from the boat and took off. Reel (drag gone for years now) banged up my left hand good and the fish generally gave me a tough time at the boat. First 2 times I grabbed its tail, it just shook so hard I had to let go. Got this thing in, really big, maybe 14 pounds, decided I would pass on what was a growing late afternoon bite. I wasn't in great shape before the last one, I was done after it.

Saturday Dan Duff joined me. There was a brief decent albie bite in the rips off the Point in the morning, but it was real calm and pretty crowded and for the next few hours there was little action. You could find albies, but not in the numbers that Friday showed for more than 8 hours. Also, there seemed to be more smaller albies in the mix.

Sometime early afternoon the wind picked up a bit, and so did the fishing. The albie pods got bigger and more consistent, and some mixed bass and bluefish feeds started near the lighthouse.

After 3 and growing until we left after 6 pm, things got hot. There was a pure bass feed in Turtle Cove that came out far enough for me to get some good video and for Dan to take a bass. Some of the albie pods were just unbelievable. And when the blues mixed in, some were good size (I had an 8 pounder or so convince me it was an albie until I landed it).

I was still hurting a bit from Friday, and I had subjected Dan to hours of pounding through the rips (when the albies were more sparse, I was moving way too much - Dan was a good sport about it [he knows albies make me crazy] but he took the brunt of the damage for all the moving). So we quit a little after 6 with the fish still going strong.

Just before Dan's last albie, a big boat seemed to be coming way too close to us. Then I heard Howie call out - yup, his boat Venture looked all spiffed up and ready to rumble for the giants up north.

Although Saturday was not as good as Friday, the late afternoon bite made it pretty darn good anyway. Neither Dan nor I could remember if he had equaled or best his previous albie high - not remembering how many fish you landed is always a sign of good fishing (well, at least for Dan, who is too young to rely on senility for this). I caught as many as I could handle that day, happy to break double digits without approaching the 20 mark that generally means pain for me.

I'm in a zombie like state at the moment, replaying visions of albies crashing feet from the boat and bass feeds that cannot be believed unless you see them. Gonna get out again at the end of this coming week, but need to rest up - I ache in places I didn't know I had.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Reel-Timer

Well I don't know about Friday, cause I wasn't out there, but Saturday was pretty damn good for us. We actually found nice pods to work away from the crowd in the morning and got a bunch of 8-10 lb. albies (Peter, this was just after you and Dan headed west towards Ditch....while all the boats were either at Turtle or west of Caswells workng those smaller pods here and there, there were great big boils of albies in very close to the beach in between! I think because they were in pretty tight to shore around the rocks, people didn't see 'em and we and one other boat worked them alone for a while). Then in the afternoon, things broke open as Peter reported. We got 3 keeper bass out of boils that had both blues and bass in them...the first of those bass was a very fat 34 incher on a tiny size 4 albie fly...pretty cool. Took a couple smaller bass and a lot of 5-8 lb. blues...and donated a lot of flies 'cause we were too lazy to retie when shock tippets got frayed. All told Saturday, I think we had 10 albies in the boat and about 6-8 dropped (hooked one on a pretty beefy fly I had been using for blues/bass and that was tied to about a foot and a half of 40 lb. mono and no other leader between fly and black sink tip...who says these fish are line shy! Lost that fish when line got wrapped aroung the rod butt on the initial run...it takes a lot of pressure to snap 40lb. mono...amazing what these little fish can do); 5 bass to 34"; 7 blues to 8 lbs. But really you could have caught as many fish as you wanted yesterday....a lot of the time we were just watching the spectacle. A banner day.

--Josh
Old 09-08-2002, 12:15 PM
Wave-a-Stick

Unhappy You guys are making me sick............

Damn you!

Damn you all to hell!!!

It will be a couple of weeks before I can get out. Wife just came home today with our newborn: 8lbs 7 oz, a keeper!

Hope the action continues for awhile!

Great post!
Old 09-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Reel-Timer

Phil--

Congrats! My wife and I are having our first in January....maybe we can get our wives to become friends so we can fish more! ;-) AndyF and I are working on that strategy as well. They had their first child last fall.

Anyway, don't worry 2 weeks from now things should be cranking, especially given the tides that weekend (which is one reason things were so good late this week....very very strong tides). The bad news about 2 weeks from now is that the Redbone is that weekend so there will a ridiculous number of boats out there.

--Josh
Old 09-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Wave-a-Stick

Thumbs up Thanks Josh

Your first? wow, thats great!

Enjoy it. It is a wonderful time. (and not peak season like me!)

Get your fill now, then enjoy your family over the winter.

This is our 5th by the way (no, thats not a typo!), so if you need some advice< i'm your man!
Old 09-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

It's nice to tke a shakedown cruise after the mechanics get got through with it, and run it through busting albies, and wind up in Peter's lap...

I didn't really fish, but had to throw a few casts with that little spinning rod....Hooked zero for ten casts and put it away. Fish definately wanted small flies.....Next year, when the wrist is better, I'll be back to the fly...I hate spinning for albies.

But the boat is running great, all rigged and ready, and the bite up north just turned on.....just like the albies down here, the giants have turned on after the last East blow. The boat's should be leaving week. Hope it lasts right through Oct.

If the quotas don't get filled, the crew may take it to North Carolina and finish up down there....Tight lines to all and enjoy the ablies. Howie
Old 09-08-2002, 05:27 PM

Peter, I feel your pain. In the day and a half I was out I boated 23 with one on the Boga at 15lbs. a Tuna Melt. I'm in LA now and hope to be back friday with my hands healed. It was a nice way to start the season, thanks for the call.

Ted
Old 09-09-2002, 07:42 AM

Sunday 9/9

What they said except more albies and less bass.

The only way I can describe how good the albie fishing was is to say that at 4:15 I decided to call it a day. About 100 yards northeast of the light I saw the tightest albie boil of the day. Maybe 1000 fish packed into a 20 yd square.

I pulled up, shut off the engine, and just watched. Didn't make a cast. I'd had enough and was just enjoying the scenery.

Rich
Old 09-09-2002, 08:12 AM
Wave-a-Stick

Pictures

Take some pics next time.

I need the vicarious thrill/
Old 09-09-2002, 08:44 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Second thoughts now that I am beginning to return to normal (only a little leftover pain today).

In retrospect, the trip reminds me a lot of the time I fished with Dan last year. The day before had been better (not as much better as my Friday this time), the morning was good, I moved too much in the afternoon (last year I took Dan all the way to Gardiners to show him where I fish there before returning to the point), and then had a great late afternoon.

I definitely move too much when the fishing slows down, but in a way the rest Saturday was needed. Not that Saturday wasn't a great day - a measure I use is how many times two fishermen in the boat double (hook up at the same time) on albies. Dan and I doubled quite a number of times Saturday, and we would have done so more often except we also took video of each other catching albies when an obvious double opportunity was not there (but had we kept both fishing, some of those would have been doubles too). We also spent a fair amount of time just watching and video-ing the bass feeds. We boated 21 or 22 albies between us Saturday, so that's pretty good.

Last time I remember such a strong early push of albies was 1998 (the last year I broke 20). That was a great season. Hope this one continues as it started, although if it does, I'll be taking video breaks to survive.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:09 AM

Congrats Phil. Last November when I had a baby girl (my first), Howie said, "fishing just got better." It was a nice note. He was right, but until my daughter gets old enough to pick up a rod he was right for the wrong reason, which is that fishing opportunities have declined so dramatically that I appreciate every day on the water more than ever. In some ways it kills me to read these awesome reports while my boat sits quietly in its slip, but in some ways it's great. Vicarious cyber fishing.

Missed this great weekend but hope to be out sometime next weekend. Hope it is a long season.

Josh: how about a Reel-Time baby naming contest? Albie Reibel? Sage? SeBASStian? (better yet, Seabasstian). That's it, I think we have a winner: Seabasstian Reibel.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:29 AM
Wave-a-Stick

Smile Thanks Andy

Yes it gets a little frustrating, but I know I'll get my shot(s).

Kids take up a lot of time, thats why I'd rather skip work to fish while they are in school, than take away from them on weekends. But you get out when you can get out.

If you are ever looking for some company on that boat, just give me a holler. I'd be happy to spring for gas & food.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2002, 11:33 AM
Wave-a-Stick

Video

I'd love to see the videos sometime.

Maybe over the winter we could organize some kind of reel-time get-together? Show the videos, slide show of some still shots? Tying tables? It might help the cabin fever!

I'm still fairly new here.

You guys ever do anything like that?

I am supposed to go out with Jim Levison Oct.3rd, hope things are still cooking.

He is a great guide/guy by the way.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:01 PM

I talked about having a get-together last year but never did it. Maybe this year, but I don't want to start thinking about winter quite yet!
Old 09-09-2002, 12:35 PM
Reel-Timer

Andy--

Very clever on the name thing...one problem: we're told we're having a girl...back to the drawing board my clever friend.

Phil--

We should definitely try to do a NY/NJ R-T board gathering some time. Count me in!

--JHR