Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Hall of Fame

Old 09-23-2002, 05:35 PM

Unhappy Disappearing Tuna?

Poor showings on Saturday from Ipswich Bay to BF bouy; today nearly the same. Saw some minimal pods of mixed sized fish off Thatchers and ran into Big Red\Murph. Very limited sightings(other than whales) and no good casting opportunities. Is it winding down/over? I'm thinking about shooting down to the south shore groups or get out to the Bank...
Old 09-24-2002, 05:38 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Steve, only saw one other pod of small bluefin come up as the wind came up at the end of the day. Had numerous shots at them with prism colored DD but no takes. Thankyou to guy in the Triton CC, He let me have them all to myself watching from a distance. Rounded off the night in search of bass. Chunked Thatchers, the Salvages, Straitsmouth and entrance to Rockport harbor with neary a tug. Saw seals @ the Salvages, a sure sign the season will be over soon. Was a beautiful night anyway and enjoyed a great day of fishin'.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:12 AM
Punk @ss Veteran RT'er

John, we went out for a quick trip yesterday. We saw ONE pod of fish last night. There were probably more out there, but the low light/cloudy conditions, small white caps and lazily feeding(porpoising) fish made it nearly impossible to spot them. The one inconspicuous pod of 40-50 lb'ers surfaced by a small flock of birds hanging out in the water. No aggressive feeds...

We were marking a lot of stuff on the finder, but saw no peanuts on the surface. The birds were everywhere, giving us just enough hope to stick it out.

This time I was up on the bow with fly in hand and again, the fish wouldn't show. We're convinced that ALL fish get antzy and ski-daddle when I'm up on the bow with a fly rod. :mad:

Paul
Old 09-24-2002, 01:21 PM

Oh there still here
As a matter of fact they haven't moved very far in the last three weeks.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:49 PM

Nice fish Glennon! Congrats! What day did you catch him? And was it north or south shore? I fished the north shore for a few hours on Sunday and didn't get any shots as the fish were very scarce compared to Friday. Great job!
Old 09-24-2002, 02:53 PM
Punk @ss Veteran RT'er

Glennon,

Yer makin' me jealous.

That wasn't from yesterday was it? The sky looks too blue to have been yesterday... Are you fishing the South Cape?

Paul
Old 09-24-2002, 05:25 PM

To give you some size comparison, I'm 6'5" 220. It was from the weekend. We had 7 hookups and landed 3 with two other IGFA style releases (hook pulled boatside with me holding the leader). The biggest was estimated (didn't want to hurt it so we unhooked it while still in the water boatside) at just about 100#s. All the fish were taken northwest of the race.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:32 PM

Had a rookie out there with me. He said he had never been that tired from fishing before.

By the way before anyone freaks out. We have only kept 2 fish so far out of the many we have landed.

Last edited by Glennon; 09-24-2002 at 05:35 PM..
Old 09-25-2002, 12:12 PM

Nice fish Glennon , What were they hitting????
Old 09-26-2002, 09:44 AM

Diamond jigs will work sometimes as well as Deadly dicks (change split ring and hook). We have even got some on top water plugs. After a lot of money and time we came across one lure that outproduces all the others. It has consistently out fished everything else on the boat about 5 to 1. I hope you understand why I don't want to just give it away.

As for flies think same size and profile but use color and flash to make it stand out in a crowd. I have developed an adaptation to a fly that also outproduces others we have tried.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:12 AM
Sponsor

Smile

Try the Yo-Zuri Hydro Metal jigs in 40g and 60g. They have been outstanding. The best colors have been green mackerel 60g and 40g mullet. These are the jigs that have the fish on one side and a squid on the other. Very very solid producers, we landed dozens of fish on them, even leaving the treble hooks on. The megabait and braid jigs have also worked well, however, these hydro metal jigs have definitely outfished the others. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2002, 11:21 AM
Salt Obsessed in Detroit

Glennon:

I hate to get off on a rant, but I have a very hard time with this not giving out the secret recipe bit. Are you worried that there won't be enough fish for you or that everyone will realize the genius of your design and the fish will get wise to your pattern? I thought this board was about helping each other out, which you have done by revealing your secret spot, so thanks for that. As we all know, finding them is 80 percent of it. (You know, "80% of life is just showing up")

But we're not even talking about a fly here....Nice to see Dereks studding up with solid info for the metal chuckers.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:05 PM

Thumbs up Nice Catch!

Nice work bagging one on their way out(?). You scored the last day I saw any good activity. With respect to the "secret weapon" or cracking the code as I call it, it's your perogative whether to give it up or not...I've spent a futune on fiel and have an impending divorce as a result of trying so hard to fool 'em.

My humble opinion is we may never see "inshore" tuna action like this again, so let's all win at it. I love the challenge of trying to fool 'em as learned in the bonito and albie campaigns I've waged around the Vineyard. I reported my only hookup lure, but had no consistent success, so I don't have a real winner to report like First Light Anglers...those guys are top shelf; especially when it comes to sharing info and reports. Terrific sprit of cooperation.

I only hope the tuna will swing back and join the whales for more bunker treats so I can try some more; fighting and losing one had ruined me for life.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:02 PM

First light- you guys are first class, THANKS for the info, I will probably only get one maybe two shots at these fish next week if they stick around and I now feel a little more confident that I now have a chance! These other guys cutting lures out of pictures and such is stupid, you would think they were fishing a salmon pool with only 2 salmon in it!! Get over guys....
Old 09-26-2002, 08:30 PM

"everyone will realize the genius of your design"

I wouldn't say it is genius just a lot of trial and error.

I will second the Hydro-metals in the 40 gram size. Any color seemed to work with that particular lure. The only thing I would add is they seemed to hit the diamond jig and deadly dick as readily as the yo-zuri but who knows.

LandlockedinMI,
As for not giving away my secret lure. I spent a lot of time and money working on it till it was just right. You have a legitimate chance with any of the above lures. I personally would rather solve the problem myself then just have someone hand me the answer. Much more satisfying knowing I did it on my own. Another reason is the lure is so good it is an automatic hookup if you put it into a breaking school. If I told everyone what the lure was and the changes we made then we would have to worry about the Bluefin tuna population crashing.

"These other guys cutting lures out of pictures and such is stupid"

finatic ,
I don't think it is fair to criticize people that have put a lot of time and money into something and don't want to hand it over to others that want immdiate success. I spent many hours cursing and screaming at these fish to just "HIT IT!"
Put in your time do a little thinking about what your throwing and you will get one.

A perfect example would be the fly I have been throwing at them. I guarantee no one else has been throwing it at them and it is extremely effective. Does that mean I need to post a picture of it for you?

good luck to you and if you are out there Sunday or any of the days next week you can try to reach me on 66