Forum Navigation

Search

Old 10-07-2002, 07:23 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

Post 10/6 Eastern Point

Arrived at Eastern Point Light in Gloucester to find lots of birds and fish working from the light north to Braces Cove. So long as I stayed close to shore I was protected from the NW wind but substantial rollers formed as the tide started cooking... fishing heated up too Blind casting resulted in Stripers to 24" and casting into blitzes yielded Blues to 30". Wound up sitting in the middle of the largest most concentrated blitz I have ever seen. Bait (looked like large peanuts) was so thick that the fly line had trouble sinking through it and the 5-10lb. Blues underneath were just as thick. With all those teeth going airborne I got a little spooked and paddled out before I started loosing digits. Packed it in by 9am when most of the activity had moved on. All fish taken on large Deceivers. First two Blue ones were lost but a 60lb flouro bite tippet saved this green one.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:55 AM

great news... I have to head up there one day next weekend to help the in-laws... hopefully the fish will stick around one more week but nites are getting cool...

nice pic... did you get any of the blitz?
Old 10-07-2002, 09:02 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

I wanted to but it was way too rough for me to risk opening the hatch. A still wouldn't have captured it though... digital video may be my next toy
Old 10-07-2002, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

spooked by teeth? Who are you and what did you do with Sam?? Sounds like I should have given up in RI and went north...congrats....
Old 10-07-2002, 02:44 PM

Eastern Point

Sam Riley: Should have followed my instincts and your lead to Eastern Point on Saturday but was concerned about where to safely launch in that wind. Where did you put in, and what were the conditions?
I got some exercise but little else in Jones River in West Gloucester and took a pounding trying to maneuver near Coffin Beach (didn't risk a cast there from my Seayak). Fished from the Lund skiff Sunday morning in the Annisquam (too rough for the bay), and though there was bait everywhere, I didn't see a fish caught. You made an excellent call.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:59 PM
Spoiled by Tuna

kayaker-
I stopped off at Ipswich Bay first... almost got blown over and the hike across the low tide flats into the wind would not have been fun. Put in at the CG Station on the harbor side after checking out the conditions on the other side of the breakwater. So long as I kept away from the crashing surf on the rocks but within half a mile of shore I was fine. Big slow rollers with wind and wake driven chop. Not a novice day but the migration waits for no man If you are up for some big water and the fish are still around, I should be heading back up weekend after next.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:57 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Sam,

60lb flouro...

Big bucks$$$$....

Nice report... I know what you mean about how it can get down right spooky...

-mike
Old 10-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Oh ya forgot to ask..

Is that an Orvis sink tip (looks like it)? How do you like it?
Old 10-08-2002, 06:46 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

Mike-
Yup, it's an Orvis Deapth Charge and is my favorite line. The flouro is all I had on me other than 80lb mono and I figured that it might spook the Stripers. How have you been hitting em down your way?