Forum Navigation

Search

Old 11-17-2002, 05:51 PM

Question FF Boston's Jamaica Pond?

Anybody have any suggestions for the beginners guide to winter ff'ing Jamaica Pond? I say beginners guide since I've had little to no experience except for the salt. Would like to keep the skills sharp and Jamaica Pond happens to be in my virtual backyard.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:50 AM
Veteran reel-timer

I've never fished it, but they used to put big broodstock salmon in there. There might even be lake trout. Stoddards in downtown crossing should be able to set you up.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:34 AM

jamaica pond is pretty heavily stocked with trout. I think it gets trout in the fall also which not all waters get and I think it still is stocked w/ broodstock salmon but they dont stock many so from what I know fishing for them is kind of a crapshoot. If I were you I'd say start in the cove on the northwestern corner and fish a sinking line with a beadhead bugger with a tiny midge nymph as a dropper. might be able to get away w/ floating line. havent fished there too much but its a start.
ed
Old 11-19-2002, 12:49 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Fish shallow water in fall. The fish are getting ready to spawn so they should be in close. A woolly bugger or small streamers would probably work off the beach. Hey maybe you could hook up with a nice Brown.

I don't know the pond, but this time of year, any stocked pond has fish in close to shore, you just have to walk the pond and look for rising fish. A depth chart of the pond would help also. Look for dropoffs close to shoaly type areas.

I'm only speculating, I've never fished there and have know Idea how deep it is.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Spoiled by Tuna

I'm only a few steps away myself. Total put-n-take pond. Trout and Salmon go in and come out just as fast. Big PowerBait corwd. Would be surprised if there were any holdovers. It is heavily stocked though (although no Salmon last year) so watch the masswildlife site for the stocking schedule and give it a go. Never FFed it myself (lots of runners, dogs and such) but have done well with lures in the coves. Email me if you want more.

Thight lines