Forum Navigation

Search

Old 11-20-2002, 06:28 PM

Er Visits

Has anyone got any good stories about going to the Hospital with a hook stuck in them.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:21 PM

Iam sitting here LOL because that happened to me last year at that time i was not LOL . What happened i was having a good day getting all the blues you could ask for it was starting to get dark so i figured one more cast and then i will be on my way .Well i got a real good hit and it was a good
size blue i got him in. While i was trying to take the hook out of him he jumped up and the hook in the middle of the plug went threw my index finger and the other went threw my thumb and i did not know at the time until he sliped out of my hands there i was a big blue jumping around with the hooks hanging threw my fingers then the pain hit me no one around to help so the only thing i could do was rip the hooks
out . Now all my pluges only have the hook in the tail end i learned the hard way .Went to hospital they could not even stich it because i riped my skin apart gave me a shot and was back fishing next day.

Last edited by SURF FISHING; 11-20-2002 at 07:36 PM..
Old 11-20-2002, 09:33 PM

My dad once got a slice on the skin over his knuckle so bad from bluefish teeth he had to go have it stitched at Westerly hospital. The thing is, the bluefish was dead, so never let your guard down.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Another reason to crush the hooks even on trebles. Even then it takes a pair of pliers and a good yank. Must have nicked a tendon last time since I still have a twinge of pain 3 months later
Old 11-21-2002, 04:50 AM

I had to drive a 74 Super Beetle from Beavertail to the Newport Hospital with a 12lb Bass on my right hand. It was a four speed and made for some interesting driving at 4:30am. The hook, yes the big ones that Atoms uses somehow ended up hiting the knuckle below my thumb. It traveled with the bone under the nail. The barb was under the nail, this made for some work on the Dr's part. To make a long story short the Dr was high fiving me because I didn't loose the fish and I had it fo dinner. I lost the nail and had to get a few stiches. When I unhook a fish now I slow down just a bit. The thumb works just fine.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Laugh or wince?

Driving a stick shift with a 12 lb bass is one of the funnier images I've imagined in a long time.

The words, "hook" "knuckle" "nail" and "barb" are not good ones to read in the same sentence at 6 am. I'm cringing and laughing.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:41 AM

What is the best way to pull out a hook. Seems to me, I read something a while back about pressing down on it a certain way while wrapping the back of the hook with mono and using that as a handgrip to pull.

I figure I am due for something like this someday.

Bob
Old 11-21-2002, 11:03 AM
ANeary

Friend and I were striper fishing at night and he lands a schoolie around 20 inches .While he's trying to get the fish off the triple treble the fish shakes his head, like they alway do and implaes one of the hooks pretty deep in his thumb. Past the barb. I head over and try to pull it out using hemostats but every time I pull he gets a little more woosy. Looks like he's ready to pass out so he decides to find a better pair of pliers. We were standing in about 3 feet of water about 50 yards off shore. He found a new pair of needle nose that he could get a better grip with and did get the hook out and came back to fish. One reason I started fly rodding, I only have to deal with a single hook at a time. Never quite understood why they put three sets of triple trbles on a 4 inch lure ? Same thing happened to another friend but he wasn't as fortunite, hook went through his thumb and he dropped teh fish back in the water. fish was swimming around while attached to his thumb. They cut off the hook and took him to the hospital where he helped the doctor remove the hook. i think they pulled it up through the thumb. Make your hook barbless they come out easier.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:39 AM
NH Reeltimer

As a kid I worked on a catfish farm, when ever we drained/seined ponds all the bull heads (horn pout up here) all got thrown out on the bank. While using a string trimmer around one of the ponds I went to kick a dead bull head out of the way, the spike on the side of a 2 week old rotten bullhead went through my shoe, into my big toe and was showing in the middle of my big toe nail.... had to cut my shoe off because of the barbs on the spike. Doc had to lay open my toe to remove barbed spike and clean out bull head funk......
Old 11-21-2002, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

the line has been crossed....thats nasty
Old 11-21-2002, 12:21 PM
Administrator

I can sympathise with ya Tim. My older brother pick up a dead catfish and threw it at me. That pec barb stuck into my shoulder.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

I got a nasty story for ya......When I was little, 5 or 6 I think, I don;t remember, my family had a 4th of july party out at a family house on a lake. I was fishing with a 2 or 3 inch repalla on the shore line for bass around some lilly pads and fallen trees. Another kid at the party, a friend of the family's son, who was also my age came over to see if I had caught anything. at the time I had gotten the repalla stuck on a log on the surface of the water and was pulling at it. when he cam over he decided to help, and started pulling on the rod and line with me. Our heads couldn't have been more than a few inches apart. Well, the bark gave way and the Lure came screaming back at us. I ducked, he didn't. All I heard was him screaming and people running down to the water. I guess I kind of went into shock when I was crying and don't remember a whole lot after that but I can vividly remember what his face looked like when his dad helped him up and off to the hospital. The trebbles caught him square in the eye. Pretty nasty sight and I will never forget it. To this day I still cringe and shy away everytime I get stuck on something because thats what I picture in my head. He lost the eye.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:19 PM

I was fishing at about 3 one morning and got a big black deceiver stuck in my forearm - very deep, couldn't get it out on my own. It didn't hurt, so I kept fishing until the health center opened (this was on Block Island). The doc took me in, and before he cut it out, commented on the nice deceiver I had tied - he took the hook out and I tied him some flies.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:34 PM

If you've heard this one, stop me....

I'm in the shower...dressed as one would be in the shower....Wife yells Come Quick, the dog (new springer puppy) is choking on something!
Young son -(9-10yrs old) tries to help and get whatever it is out of dog's mouth. Seems the dog got hold of a plastic container with an ice fishing jig in it. Jig has hooks on both ends like this (____) . Seems one end is caught in Dogs lip. Son gets other end caught in his hand. Dog retreats under bed along with sons hand. Dog is yelping, Son is screaming. Wife is screaming. Dad comes in Dressed in....well you know. Gets dog out from under bed and sends wife to the garage for a pair of pliers. Dad cuts the jig in half. Wife takes Son to the ER, Dad (gets dressed and) takes dog to the VET!
Old 11-21-2002, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Reading this topic is like chewing on aluminum foil.