Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Hall of Fame

Old 12-20-2002, 06:42 AM

Talking

Hooking my first albie with Striper Mike on his boat in Sept. The highlight of my season. Now I know why people get addicted to these fish. FishHawk
Old 12-20-2002, 10:07 AM

This was my first year fishing the salt with the fly rod and it started off with a week in the Keys. Once I got out of the habit of raising the rod to set the hook I caught fish. Day 1 was the hardest, windy, couldn't see fish but my guide Diego was great, missed two bonefish due to the aforementioned bad habit, caught some miscellaneous species. Day 2 was a new guide and an awesome tarpon. See the fish, cast to the fish, fish rolls on fly but doesn't take it, twitch, twitch, huge mouth opens and fly is gone...45 minutes later I lose it trying to hold it away from bridge pilings. Guide's assessment - was a caught fish, he touched the leader but didn't hang on as fish wasn't ready to be brought in boat, an "honest 100 lb tarpon" and a really bad one for a first tarpon. Several more days with Cy and some smaller tarpon that showed me how to do the long distance release, other miscellaneous species and several misses at bonefish. Another guide for two more days and I finally caught a bonefish and broke another one off when it ran under the boat....what a way to start SW Fly fishing. Continued in the salt at home with a few stripers and missed albie season altogether. Can't wait for the new year!
Old 12-20-2002, 10:42 AM
Salt Obsessed in Detroit

Obsessed

Easy. End of August off of Newport/JAmestown. One of 2 annual trips to RI to fish w/ best friend and personal outfitter-hopefully you are blessed w/ a friend like this: "Hey Jim: I'm coming in 3rd week of August". "What's your flight number?". "1221". "I'll pick you up."

He's waiting at the curb with his truck full of the gear I fed ex'ed.. Drive right to the boat, unpack and rig the 8 and 10. There is a cooler full of great food and another full of the great beers of the world, gatoraide and water.

Typically, we don't get more than a mile away from the dock, be it Wickford (wickfid), Bonnet or Quonset, before we're into fish-usually blues but after a few months of large mouth bass fishing, it don't suck!

This particular trip, we are blessed with a guide from Saltwater Edge; Capt Corey. HArdcore to the core. He puts us on Bones and shows us the drill with real tunas. Great day. Next morning is absolutely gorgeous, no wind so the ocean is like a pond. We head out only a few miles off of Newport and there are bait balls being crashed by tunas almost everywhere you look. We counted 14 bait balls from a fixed postion at one point. Incredible.

I threw the box at the tunas with no takes. DOH!!! We saw Capt Corey out there w/ another client and he threw me one of his magic flies. BLESS YOU!!!! But alas no takes. Finally switch to a match the hatch with short #2 olive surf candy and the game was full on. 'Course Jim is just driving the boat until the fly guy hooks up, then he launched the metal so we had multitple hook ups all afternoon. Even threw the 8 (idiot) at a school of large bluefin who ate. Fish not landed, but the rod lives.

The pic is how the skippy's look in the water. When does this fever break?
Old 12-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Season"Al" Mariner

As for me, this was basically my first real year of fishing for stripers from a boat with a fly rod, perhaps 7-8 trips total. I fished with a Redington 9 wt. and used only the flies I tied. Even though I caught only about 60 stripers, my largest was 36" (JF) it was a great season. BUT, my most memorable day EVER was my first BFT ever, and perhaps to be the first one(?) this season to catch a BFT (2-3 mi. off Rye Ledge). It was a 48 lb beauty, took 2 hrs. to bring in, and was caught on the same 9 wt. rod with a Tioga reel. This catch was featured in the October issue of "On The Water Magazine".

"A Team Effort"
50 lb. BFT / 9 Wt. Fly Rod
Old 12-20-2002, 06:54 PM
Administrator

I'm going to copy this thread to the HOF.
dc