Forum Navigation

Search

Old 01-09-2003, 12:25 PM

Question St. Thomas boat captains

My wife and I are looking do go offshore during our February vacation to St. Thomas...we're interested in sails, tunny and dorado...she's not a flyfisher, so I'm trying to find a charter that can accomodate us both...anyone have a boat they can recommend?

I'd like to book ASAP, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 01-10-2003, 10:21 AM
martinatpw

red hoook

world class anglers.. they also hook up with a company called reel (something) like that in Red hook. World class anglers is in the bay over on st john by the westin hotel.
Great guy, (world class) they gather bait and head out to the ledge to drum up tuna, dorado, blue runners, and anything else that might come up... trolling is pretty boring.. we just looked for birds, but live baiting was great. when you get the fish close, you can fly for them. but, and a big but, the sharks are close by, and you have a hard time getting a blackfin or a yellowfin to the boat in time for dinner, if you know what i mean.. its not your dinner.. The boat does keep most of the fish, which sucks, but you can take home what you might need while in st johns/thomas. its a fun fishery though. try not to waste any time trolling.. he will try to kill time doing that, it is unproductive compared to the baiting deal. its mandatory that he nets bait too. pilchards, which are usually pretty plentiful. great day, ive done it 4 or so times with this guy.. I forget his name though.. wife is a realtor on st john. his boat is a 32 ft center console, looks like a new 32 ft seacraft, but it is not, its a custom design, with a single diesel. good luck.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:12 PM

THANKS

I already talked with Captain Gene of Reel Therapy and he's going to be in dry dock the week we're there...he highly recommended Double Header...so I called and found out that they do live bait and love flyfishers...long story short, we're booked!

I'll post a report when we get back to the mainland...thanks for the reply martinatpw...
Old 01-12-2003, 11:53 AM

Greetings,
Is there a chance that you could share the information on Double Header abit sooner? I'll be in St. John end of April/beginning of May for 2 weeks and would like to find a flyfish-friendly charterboat.

I've fished St. John once before, and found it tricky but rewarding upon getting dialed in.

Tye lots of size 2 white Deceivers for Bar Jacks and Blue Runners. Lots of fun on a 6wt.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:36 AM
martinatpw

st jon/thomas

thats it...double header.. Captain Loren Nickbarg, over on St john, (world Class) combined forces with Double header. Double header has a couple boats. I was out with (i think) captain Gene and Loren one day.. we went far, all the way south of the island south of st thomas, to some buoy, shipping lane looking for wahoo/tuna. did ok on that trip. The best fun has always been just getting to the edge and drumming up fish with the pilchards, then fly fishing.. just watch the weather, the wind is a pain as it always is.. But congrats on hooking up with them. Gene has a younger captain too,or at least he did, blond haired guy about thirty. Used to fish in california on some long range boats.. He had me out past dark one night, getting into some yellowin in the late hour.. about 50 lbs on some light weight tackle.. you wouldn't believe the hook i caught the yellowfin on, it was like a small treble hook, that they throw the pilchards on.. somehow very strong. I didn't expect to get the yellow in the boat. great time. he stayed late and we both fished, just the two of us... my wife was a bit upset, but he had a good of a time as i did... hope you have similar luck. its all about the wind. sometimes they go north, but we had success about 9 miles due south of st john on the edge... not that far away. If you talk to Captain Nickbarg, he would remember me. sean martin. tell him i saw him a while back at his halloween party at the bar his buddies own, he was wearing a tu tu or something like that. balerena dancer.. pretty funny.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:12 PM

Talking MANY THANKS!!!

Thanks Martin...I'll ask Captain Loren if he's still got his tutu in the closet...I think we're getting another guy, Captain John?...we're just jazzed about it...3/4 day starting at 12:30pm and fishing until dark for $550...great deal by my research...

BTW - I've got three days in Boca this weekend flyfishing for dolphin and sails...I'll post a report the Florida board on 1/20...

Wish us luck....

Old 01-16-2003, 10:00 AM
martinatpw

lucky you... winter will whip by with weekends like that..
The afternoon gig is actually better. I've noticed that the bite is really good the last two hours. The yellowfin that we caught were landed in the dark, but started right at dusk. They show up last,if at all. They were a blessing, so I would not plan on that, but you never know. The other tuna were plenty of fun, and good eating. (blackfin) Remember though, they keep most of the fish, and end up making a good buck on the bounty too.. I'd say they made an extra $500 easy on my load of fish...... But just make it known that you plan on keeping some of the fish to eithe bring home or eat while on st John... You can bring some fish to the eateries.. Asolare, up on the hill outside of town is one place you might call and bring over a nice chunk of tuna.. Great food, great view.
regards.. have a good weekend. fresh dorado is making me hungry too..
Old 02-27-2003, 11:31 AM

Thumbs up Great day, poor flyfishing

We ended up taking Double header out for the day (2/20/03)...my wife hooked and landed a sailfish on a spinning rod loaded with 20# test (no leader! - we were casting for yellowtails), a 3" pilchard on a #4 hook...very exciting!...winds and the waves made casting hard...I couldn't figure out which fly the benito would take...lost a nice yellowtail to a king...otherwise I was SHUT OUT!

John (the younger of the two Johns at Double Header) is great...very energetic, knows the fish, the waters and his boat...we liked him so much that we cancelled our Friday plans to tour St. John and signed on for an extra morning trip (4 hours)...the weather was far worse on the second trip out, but we still managed to land fish (three white-out squalls will put a crimp on the flyrodding, I can tell you!)...still, I would recommend them to any flyfisher...

All in all a great couple of trips with a very good boat...next time, we might go for a bigger boat so that we can get offshore...Double Header's boats are really not the thing you wanna be in with 20-30 knot winds and 10-12 foot seas 19 miles out....
Old 03-03-2003, 02:25 PM
martinatpw

wind

That is always the killer down there, this time of year. I fish During November and May, its a bit better with wind. Too bad you didn't get a chance to get a "pilchard slick" going... It brings up everything... I'm headed to Panama in two weeks, hopefully for the big boys, and Island called Coiba, off the coast. I hear good things, and hopefully its reality... it better be with what we are paying.
I'll post a report to follow.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:08 PM

my parents just returned from Panama and had a BLAST...10 sails, several over 110lbs....a 262lb. yellowfin tuna...rooster fish galore...my Dad was too chickensh*t to get the flyrod out (and I built the thing just for that trip!!!)...his loss, I suppose...

The went out with Capt. Jay Gustin...I've been out with Jay and his first mate Travis during their summertime Alaska trips...they are very, VERY good!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 01:12 PM
martinatpw

nice,.......

Where in Panama did they go? We're going off Coiba island, around Hannibal bank. But there are a ton of good fishing areas besides the bank, which does get some traffic. I'm bringing the fly wand and I plan to use it. I also might jump in the water for some spearfishing.. most likely grouper or something. But you never know.. swimming in a school of yellowfin could be a dive of a lifetime.. I heard there are shrimp boats and the fish follow the boats, just like up here.
Coiba island is up north. Unlike Tropic star lodge which is way in the south.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:33 AM

Have read previous posts for the two Capts. you guys talked about. Does anyone else have any other info for charter boats there? A friend of ours is going in February and wants to go offshore fishing. He doesn't fly fish and is looking for something in the 40' Hatteras type of boat. He doesn't have internet access so I get to be the go-between. Thanks.