Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 08:03 AM

Mark Sedotti at the Flyfishing Show

Watched Mark Sedotti put on a casting exhibition at the Flyfishing Show. I was amazed at his ability to cast 20 inch bunker fly on a Scott 7 weight over 100 feet. He perform this cast with what he calls his "Sayonara Sling." He achieve this cast by making a forward cast with a modified back cast. This backcast (forward cast) allows him to use the muscles of his forearm as opposed to just being able to use the muscles of the thumb and hand on a standard forward cast. Part of his success is doing to carefully weight balancing the bunker flies he uses. Each fly of more than 10 inches has a keel in the mid-shank portion of the hook comprised of 18 pieces of .30 wire. This added weight counteracts the aerodynamic drag of these large flies. I am wondering why this flycasting approach has not gained wider acceptance?
Old 01-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Sounds better for putting on a show than actual use.

Plus, who the hell casts 20 inch flies, never mind tying them with 18 pieces of 30 gauge wire in them to act as a keel.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:51 PM

20" flies

nobody casts 20" flies!! probably because no one knows how!
after getting hit with this BIG fly at the end of the casting pool, i was impessed. big flies for big fish? sometimes i think it could make the difference between catching & not catching some mighty big fish.

dan
Old 01-20-2003, 06:41 PM

It was fun watching him cast that thing over the back screen and into the aisle. Suprized a few people. I guess what he was trying to say was it can be done and not to be intimidated by the size of the fly. Of course its like anything else. You get out of it what you put into it. Of course the chances of me trying to sling a fly that big on a regular basis is probably between 0 and fogetta about it!
Old 01-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Season"Al" Mariner

Does anyone know if Mark actually held "private" casting lessons? I contacted him initially, before the show, about a private lesson, but decided against it when I found out it would be held outside. Didn't feel like chipping off the ice from my line.

"A Team Effort"
50 lb. BFT / 9 Wt. Fly Rod
Old 01-21-2003, 08:25 AM

Well, I can understand weighting the fly so the weight momentum overcomes/balances the slowing wind drag of a big bushy fly, and I can understand throwing it in an indoor arena WITH NO WIND. But I think what a side wind or head wind will do to a fly that size outdoors in real conditions is something else. Wear your motorcycle helmets.

http://www.flyfishingfotography.com

http://flyfishingfotography.smugmug.com/

Here's looking at you...kid

Old 01-21-2003, 11:47 AM

You bet it's practical, AND THAT'S MY POINT! Not being able to cast big flies, GIANT flies, and not being able to cast them long distance (about as long as you can cast ANY fly), is simply a MYTH. You weight the fly (in weight balancing) to the point where it 'eliminates" the drag caused by the wind resistent materials, making the fly that much easier to control and cast. It's how I do what I do. I can and do cast big flies in all, and in any, and all, winds too. Don't see why you can't tie a fly 30 inches long, or bigger, weight balance it, then toss it far. I've tied 27 inch flies, than taken them out and cast them 100 feet. I know YOU can tie 8 inchers and consistently cast them 50 feet. Don't believe what other's say. I'm pushing the envelope, showing you that you're putting the limitations on things yourself. There really are none. The edge of that envelope goes WAY out there too!
Dude I hit in head with fly. Sorry about that! I saw you later I know.
Next time I'm going to distribute hardhats.
No. Nobody came to me for lessons there ( to have at the show). I still give them here in Greenwich, and N.Y.C. you know.
Thanks to everyone who came to my demonstration.
Mark
Old 01-21-2003, 01:28 PM

Sedotti's casting presentation

Mark,

Your basic point on what the rod angle should be at the end of the forward cast will probably improve my casting by a good percentage. It was worth the price of admission ot the show. You made it look easy which is how it should be.

Thanks for a good demo and a good lesson.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:49 PM

The sad part of all this is that mark is trying to help you people and many of you, despite never having actually TRIED his method, are doubting its application. It works. I've been doing it for years. Maybe you all should give it a whirl before you disparage it...

CMP
Old 01-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Gentlemen,

I watched Mark's demo., Took his picture during it and spoke to him afterwards. Tossing the 27 inch fly was only a small part of the lessons he gave for anyone to improve their casts.

His standard casts with a 7 inch + bunker fly hit the back of the casting net at 100 feet. Great line control and how to hold the rod, stop it and increase line speed were all part of the demo. The group I was with were all impressed! None of them could be classified as beginners in the sport.

IMHO - Mark is a great instructor and if you didn't come away with a better understanding of the mechanics of casting you were asleep on your feet.

If you weren't at the demo, hold your opinions until you see this demonstration in person. That's fair! Mark can fish with me anytime!

Here's lookin at chew kids!
Old 01-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Fly chucker

Mark, I found your demonstration to be both entertaining and educational. Hope you have as much fun this coming weekend as you seemed to be having in Marlboro.

Old 01-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

JUST CURIOUS

MARK,

Saw your casting demonstration and it was most impressive.

But again, how many times are you going to cast a 20 inch fly, never mind a 27 or 30 inch fly. Looks good at the casting pool, but how practical an application is a 30 inch fly, when most striper forage gets no bigger than a 12 inch herring. I bet a good number of fly fishers have barely crossed the 30 inch threshhold, never mind throw a bait 30 inches.

I can understand the mechanics of the cast and how understanding these can help anyone's technique. But the majority of people never have need to attain these distances. Some chap in England tosses 160 feet regularly at competions, but does it have any practical application when most of the New England Gamefish are within a 50 foot shot.

I think most fly casters I've seen are better off learning how to cast 50 feet without a 1/2 dozen backcasts on the water with the wind in your face than shooting 100 feet at the casting pool. I think for most casting a 7 inch bunker or clouser with a set of #5 eyes is challenging enough.

No offense meant here, Again I thought the demonstration was the high point of my trip, but it kind of stuck me like the guy on TNN who shoots 10 pennies in the air before they hit the ground. Looks cool but ---

I'm sure this should keep the post going a bit longer. Mr Mod don't lock it down, I'd like to see the feedback even if all negative.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Good night Mrs. Calabash! Wherever you are!
Old 01-22-2003, 01:16 PM

Dear Sage,
Did you really listen to what I said at the casting pool? My point was that if one person can cast these monstrosities so far, than MANY others can cast flies of a much smaller size range, say 7, 8, or even 10 incher,s a lot farther than they thought they could, say (as I said at the demo) 50 feet. A practical fishing length. Many anglers think you can't even CAST a 10 incher. See, they never tried. They read they couldn't. Many others told them the couldn't. They told me that too, you know. Well, I want them to try. Weight balancing the fly opens this up to almost everybody. Opens up a whole new area of fly fishing "reality". That's what I'm saying. It's easy. You can do it. It's the norm. THEY were wrong. With striper fishing, what was once NOT the norm, now becomes something you can do easily every day. Copy big baits that bass eat (with 10 and 12 inch flies, or whatever), and cast and fish them easily. I said in the demo the biggest flies I commonly fish for stripers are 10 or 12 inchers. At times I'll go with a 15 inch Herring pattern. But this is rare. These sizes copy the size of the big bait. I don't have to go larger, and I don't. I'm a VERY practical fisherman. That's why I originally tied these big flies.
Now, I've been doing this, fishing this way, and advocating this for TWELVE years now. It's about time it becomes the norm. (to be able to do this easily) It's simply AMAZING how slow fly fishermen are to change and to understend. They have harder heads than the Italians.
I cast the giant flies to show that the normal big bait copying 8, 10, and 12 inch flies aren't even close to the edge of the envelope of what you can do. Nor is using a 10, or 11 weight rod to cast them. I infer that casting the "normal" big flies IS EASY, and the limitation was ALL IN YOUR MIND. Yes, you need to learn good casting technique, and then you have to practice, but after that it's all there for anyone to easily grab. All you have to do is reach out. To do it.
My other point is that you can now tie and cast flies that copy huge baits, that giant fish eat. You don't have to only hope to toss them out behind the boat at the hungry critters, but you can now CAST them to the tuna, billfish, or to the fish or animal of your choice, with success. And you can cast them about as far as you can ANY size fly. You can throw this monstrous stuff to the giant predators just like you do little flies to trout and False Albacore. It opens up a whole new world. Fly fishing is strewn with many myths. All fly fishermen have to do is open their minds and deal with reality.
All My Best,
Marco
Old 01-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Spoiled by Tuna

Quote:
Originally posted by Sedotti
It's simply AMAZING how slow fly fishermen are to change and to understend.
Well clearly we know it all already so why change

Mark - I too was at the demo and my jaw was on the floor along with RJ's. Simply amazing. I'm thinking 15wt with a 2' Bluefish imitation for BFT. I mean why not... Thanks for broadening my horizon
Closed Thread