Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Conservation and Ecology

Old 04-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Banned

The Bounty Of The Ocean Belongs To The People

With the upcoming Massachusetts Striped Bass hearings, I thought this would be a timely article.

Click on the link below to be taken to an eloquent speech (audio included) given at an Ammendment 6 hearing.

You may not believe in everything that the speaker has to say but you'll have to agree that he has some very valid points.

http://www.basspond.com/articles/gen...he_ocean.shtml

Please email me directly at mikef@basspond.com if you have any trouble with the audio.

Enjoy,
Mike Flaherty
Old 04-10-2003, 09:21 AM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

All I will say is that I strongly disagree with the opening sentence.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:25 AM

In defense of the commercial fisherman

Anyone want to make a bet on how quickly this thread will get locked?

It seems hypocritical to paint the commercial fisherman as the bad guy. Since I fish the cape cod canal a lot I often get to see the ugly side of the recreational fishery: The trash left strewn around, gut hooked fish floating in the current, and very weak enforcement of the rules seems to be the norm. I don't doubt that the annual weight of fish killed by recreational fishermen exceeds that of the commercial guys.

Just because you fish commercially doesn't mean the cows jump in the boat. These guys work hard, fishing under conditions that would keep many of us inside in our beds. And at least they don't waste the meat. Can't tell you how many times I've seen people catch a keeper only to have half of the meat go in the trash.

Now, in all fairness, most of the people on this board probably treat this resource with great respect. In my view, creating a culture of respect among recreational fishermen is more important than regulations (which are difficult and expensive to enforce). The orator in the above post places too much faith in the nobility of "the people" to police themselves. As a community, I believe we will have better success preserving the Striped Bass for future generations by working to spread the culture of conservation among fellow recreational fishermen, rather than vilifying the commercial folks.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:40 PM

Skunk Buster, you have managed to state a point that a large number of recreational fishermen never even consider. Sure, commercial bass fishermen are allowed to take up to 40 fish per day, but many employ methods and fish in areas that catch big fish. Remember, the catch is cumulative and the season ceases when the predetermined quota is filled.

Anyone who spends time near any of the popular jetty/pier/bridge fishing areas where people catch bass, sees dozens and dozens of fish get caught, dragged 15 feet out of the water, looked at,measured(slowly), held up for pics(maybe) and then tossed 15 down into the water. This is only the shorebound guys who don't fish the beach. Never mind all the gill/gut hooked fish from the chunkers who never took the time to learn how to catch fish without killing them.

Skunk Buster is right, promoting a culture of respect for the fishery and educating others on fishing techniques that will catch fish without killing them will do more to help the fishery than any regulations ever could. Rant over....