Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-19-2003, 04:42 PM

Red face Squannacook and Nissitissit Report

Hit the Squannacook yesterday with my buddy Steven. We were determined to use only dry flies on our weight#3. To our surprise there were almost no mayflies around and therefore no rising fish. There was a lot of midges though. We spotted a few big fish on the bottom and Steven ended-up tying a streamer and hooked-up with a nice big rainbow but that was the highlight of the day. Now guys help me here. How come there was nobody fishing the Squannacook on a sunny warm day like yesterday? Is there something we should know? .
Does anybody know if they stocked the squannacook with only rainbows or browns. Last year there was a decent amount of hungry browns and around the same period of the year there was a ton of mayfly and the fish were rising all over the place. I know we had some cold weather recently but 3 weeks ago the water was covered with mayflies and yesterday almost nothing.
Anyway, still determined to use dry flies and not nymphs we then went to the Nissitissit around 5:00pm. Pretty much the same. We had the all river in the Prescott bridge area just for the two of us. Nothing going on below the bridge. A lot of tiny midges and too many hungry mosquitos. A few fish rising in the FF only area but no taker. We probably should have switch to nymphs at one point during the day.

Despite not seeing anybody at the Squannaccok we can't be the only ones fishing. Any reports guys?
Old 05-22-2003, 04:14 PM

I have fished the Nissittisset a few times now and haven't had any decent action.

People I routinely run into agree that the fish are acting strange and there don't seem to be very many of them.

Some of my best fishing last year was on the Niss in early Spring. The Henricksons went nuts last year. This year I haven't see many rises, especially the rythmic feeding rises you like to see. And that is not to say that the bugs haven't worked out. A few weeks ago I was on the river with hatching bugs all over the place. I saw small stones, a few caddis, hendricksons and quill gordons, and midges ... but no rises, and the water flow was perfect to boot.

The Nissittisset has been dissapointing this year.

To be honest I am so jazzed on the stripers arriving that I haven't let the poor freshwater stuff bother me too much. This is my favorite few weeks of the year.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:02 PM

I also wonder about the fish in the Nissitissit.
I was there maybe 3wks ago, and there was a great stone fly hatch going on, but no fish rising at all.
it was very odd. Maybe the ice was too much for them this winter?

-Dave