Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-25-2003, 05:23 PM

crease fly

What is a crease fly, what is it good for, and where is there a pattern for tying it?
Thanks.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Sponsor

This is a crease fly. It seemed to gain a ton of popularity when they started to use it in Harkers for albies. I got a bunch of professionally done ones this year and used them for bass. They seem to catch fish well but durability is a huge problem. I heard through the grape vine the creator Joe Blados came up with other creations because of the durablity issue (this is just what I've heard) Mine fell apart after just a few fish. They appeared well made, it's just the nature of the material used and the way its tied. I will keep a few on hand for those times when a few fish is worth sacrificing a fly, but they won't become a go-to fly in my box. Here is the step by step on "tying" if your still interested.

Crease Fly Recipe

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 05-25-2003, 05:54 PM

It is made out of sheet foam that is folded or "creased" over the hook. This link has history and tying instuctions:
http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/Creasefly.htm
I've just started tying a few, haven't fished them yet. I think they would have been dynamite on at least one occassion last Sept when the stripers and blues were feeding big time on peanut bunker that were dead drifting on the outgoing tide.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:52 AM

I tie a simple crease fly. Tie tail on hook with some flash, tie a rattle on top. glue a piece of white craft store foam with zap a gap, Paint with glittiring crystal craft store paint and paint black eye. It's a 15 minute fly. If you do it assembly line fashion you could probaly do a dozen in an hour.
Pete
Old 05-26-2003, 07:46 AM

Terry's right, the fly works & it looks really cool - but it falls apart. I've moved over to mushmouths - they are indestructable and work great - or gurglers if you want a surface fly.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I over coat mine w/ 5 minute epoxy. They have held up to over 30 fish .
Mike
Old 05-26-2003, 02:15 PM

Hey Mike,
I also coat my crease flies with 5 min appox. and they stand up very well. They are as easy to tie as any popper and give you more options. Nothing is more fun than albies on a crease fly! I also fish them on sinking lines in addition to using the floater.
Peter Mac
Old 05-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Big Kahuna

Nice looking crease fly Mike! Has anyone tied them with long hackle tails......kinda like a floating flatwing? It would have alot of action even when sitting still.....
Old 05-26-2003, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the web links, which I read, and for the other info. I will plan on coating the entire body with epoxy when I get to tying one.
GMflyfish
Old 05-26-2003, 03:57 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Talking

Jim,
I have tied them w/ a feather tail; flatwing style.They do work well also

Last edited by boarmountain; 05-26-2003 at 06:14 PM..
Old 05-28-2003, 05:50 PM
English Reel-Timer

Epoxy is a good coating... But a pig to work with. Recently i started using Loons hard head finish, which stays flexible and is so much nicer to work with. OK so the fly isn't going to last long but it helps keep the eyes on!
Also try marking (colour) your cut-out bodies before you fold them over the hook.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:18 PM

Question crease flies

Does any one know where i can get sheet mylar to make crease flies ?? I also make crease squids. i coat mine with loons saltzscales, has a neat sparkle when done.
N.J.B.B.A.#2215
tioga co. pa.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:09 PM

Re: crease flies

Quote:
Originally posted by sandflyx
Does any one know where i can get sheet mylar to make crease flies ?? I also make crease squids. i coat mine with loons saltzscales, has a neat sparkle when done.
I bought whole bunch of foams from a hobby store for about $1.00 per sheet (9" x 12"). they are called "Darico Foamies Sticky back."
I use magic markers first on the form and put various finger nail polish over and put eyes and cover with flex coat.
It is very simple and cost effective.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:03 PM

Try the scrapbooking or origami section of a store like AC Moore or JoAnns Fabrics. I've bought the sticky backed foam at Walmart too. It was about .50/sheet. I originally bought a Crease Fly Kit directly from Joe Blados. It was $15 if I remember right.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Wave-a-Stick

Yo-Yo

I've been playing around with the idea of using a floating type fly, a combo foam-body/flatwing that I intend to fish with an intermediate sinking line.

The idea is to use a yo-yo retrieve: The fly keeps floating up, when you tug it appears to swim down, sort of like a floating rapala/injured minnow technique.

I read about a freshwater technique like this recently, and it seems it might be useful for Stripers.

I tried useing some closed-cel foam from a cheap cooler, but it is not buyoant enough, it begins to sink. I have to play around with this some more. I think it has potential.