Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-03-2003, 11:15 AM

Stripers Forever

Join this organization. Their head is in the right place. CCA too!

Look here: http://www.stripersforever.org/

Last edited by saltyflyguy; 06-04-2003 at 07:20 AM..
Old 06-04-2003, 07:06 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Question

How does one contact this group?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:19 AM

Look here:

http://www.stripersforever.org/
Old 06-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Banned

Be very leary about blindly supporting any club that will not answer fundamental questions directly asked of it.

For more information, check out...

http://reel-time.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=30642

The first post there is mine (username = flatts1). It is quite long and best read from the ground up.

To be fair, I did get a response from someone claiming to be involved with SF (I have no reason to doubt him). However, his reply to me was largely his own opinion and he didn't speak for the group.

I have yet to be told where/when this organization holds their E-board meetings. If you were a member, wouldn't you want to have some say in the direction of your org?

Later,
Mike Flaherty
Old 07-05-2003, 08:36 PM

I can't see that many questions need be asked of them. Their mission is plain and simple: gamefish status (no commercial harvest) for stripers. That's it. Go to the website and read it.
GRB
Old 07-15-2003, 06:51 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I had pretty much the same experience as Flatts when I asked questions of SF's spokesmen. In reply to some drivle about needing a better management tool than Atlantic States Marine Fisheries for Stripers; I asked two of them how they would propose to manage the fish. One said and entirely new burocracy; the other said they would re-organize ASMFC.

Neither answer makes much sense and both have about as much chance of taking place as SF has of making Stripers a gamefish by sending e-mails to congressmen.

I was supposed to be their NH state coordinator for a couple of months, but was never invited to take part in the e-conferences or asked my opinion on any issues. Just asked to get more members and buy more decals. SF appears to be a big ego trip for a few folks.

To be sure, the leaders of SF have the right idea; it's just that it appears they have no clue as to how to accomplish their goal. It certainly won't be by sending e-mails.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/

Last edited by Onshore; 07-15-2003 at 06:56 AM..
Old 07-16-2003, 05:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Onshore wrote:
To be sure, the leaders of SF have the right idea; it's just that it appears they have no clue as to how to accomplish their goal. It certainly won't be by sending e-mails.
Onshore, where do you find common ground with this group? Where do you part company? What would you suggest to them for accomplishing their goal?

Mike
Old 07-16-2003, 06:18 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Mike:

I really don't have a dog in this fight, as I will be retiring soon and moving south of the Stripers' normal range, however...

I could support gamefish status for Stripers. That is the common ground. While I'm not advocating for it, should legislation come along to create it, I would support it.

I also believe that to accomplish that, Stripers must be managed by ASMFC, as they are now. It would take several acts of Congress to reverse the federal legislation that placed ASMFC in control of the species. And then it would take another to set up a system to allocate it among the coastal and producer states. I think that is near imposible under present political circumstances.

I believe ASMFC does a much better job of managing their species than does the NMFS/Council System. I have to say that my experience is limited to New England as far as the council system is concerned; but the system is certainly broken here.

Also, I see nothing wrong with opening the EEZ, so long as it is policed. However, there is a lot of directed Striped bass fishing going on outside of the 3 mile limit as we speak; and no one is even half-heartedly trying to police it. It goes on our of Portsmouth, Rye, Gloucester, Ptown, Chatham,etc,etc. I was six miles east of Chatham just about a week ago and there were 13 boats catching large Stripers in about half a sq.mile.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website

Last edited by Onshore; 07-16-2003 at 06:23 AM..
Old 07-16-2003, 06:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Onshore wrote:
Also, I see nothing wrong with opening the EEZ, so long as it is policed. However, there is a lot of directed Striped bass fishing going on outside of the 3 mile limit as we speak; and no one is even half-heartedly trying to police it.
Soooo True!!!

I have some audio that I could point folks to that I'm sure many on this site would be VERY interested in. However, it would require crossposting. Is that OK with the folks in charge of this site?
Old 07-16-2003, 06:41 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Better ask the chief moderator

Old 07-16-2003, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
it would require crossposting.
No!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Banned

Mr. Parsons,

Please define crossposting. I looked in the Reel Time Forum Rules under the registration link and it made no mention of it.

Is it that folks can't post links to...

- other fishing websites
- other fishing websites' forums
- commercial sites
- posting the same message on different websites
- some or all of the above

I only ask because I think that I posted links on RT that met all of the above descriptions in the past and the links were not removed and I was not told it was forbidden.

Please See:
http://reel-time.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=30642

I hope that this was not just an oversight and that now those links will be removed.

I want to follow the rules but I also want to help inform. I have audio that I know folks here would be interested in and it is 8mb.

If I simply post a direct link to the audio file on another website, is that acceptable?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-18-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

You asked if you could crosspost even though Mr. Cahill has emailed you concerning the issue. Thus the no. As far as making posts with some crossposts in them, I can't keep track of all the forums but since you have pointed them out, thanks -they b gone.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:57 AM
Banned

OK. Got it.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:13 AM

Crossposting, crossposting, what is this crossposting? I look up crossposting in my Iraqi-English dictionary and there is nothing.

Cross = "annoyed, showing bad temper"
Posting = "publish or announce"

among many other meanings...

does crossposting = bad temper posts?

Someone please explain this. Thank you so much.
Closed Thread