Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Kayaks

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2003, 07:17 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

Post 6/16 Bad Case of Striper Thumb

Shaun and I managed to drag our sorry selves out of bed and into our yaks by 4:30 the morning after Monomoy. Having waded for 16 hours and stripped in hundreds of thousands of feet of line the day before, a little spin fishing via yak was just what the doctor ordered. We worked the main salt marsh inside Nauset Inlet and were amazed at the number and size of the fish we saw. First cast with a 6" Bomber... fish on. Shaun nearly fell out of his yak looking down on three cows waiting in ambush. We worked our way over flats and channels and then found a good spot to pull up on the marsh and work from shore. Two lines go in the water... two fish come out... and then again... and again.... and again. This went on for well over an hour. As the tide continued to drop the catch got smaller but numbers stayed strong. This morning my thumbs are raw and my forearms are swollen from hard fought fish in the current. It was amazing how tough it was to pull even the little ones out... talk about shoulders. Back at the launch we noticed that the KFS Crew was in town. Good luck guys
Old 06-16-2003, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

I wish I could say no, but that was no exageration. Nauset Marsh, particularly out by the inlet, is gods country. I have never seen so many fish with stripes in one place. Even small fish felt like monsters and didn;t give up in the swift currents...From shore, casted accross and up stream to use the current to get down. Bounced a 5" rubber shad body (Bob Creeden 'RJ' Special) down the far side sand bar into the 5-10 ft wide channell and bang, everytime. We hit about the last 2 hours of the drop and as soon as the tide started to slow, and the sun started to rise higher everything turned off. If you plan to hit this area, be prepared to paddle your A$@# off. The currents here are a bear. Here's a few picks...sorry they are dark, I must have had salt crusted on my lens again..

Last edited by ruge13; 06-16-2003 at 08:26 AM..
Old 06-16-2003, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

When I spooked fish paddling around they were always really tight to the grass line in the deep chanels. Almost under the overhang. I had one small 12 insh fish interested in my paddle. He came up, swam next to me for a little bit and kept circleing and looking up at my paddle blade. As soon as I dropped a 3 inch Chart shad boddy over the side he darted away. Thats when I made the swith to muted brown and tan colors. After that..hold on.. Riley holding a fish of mine...

Last edited by ruge13; 06-16-2003 at 08:34 AM..
Old 06-16-2003, 09:45 AM

I know that area very well.
First, I could never get the big guys from my Yak. And the only ones coaught from my yak were beacause of dumb luck. (I had to get out and sneak up on them).
The Yak was only something to use to get from point A to Point B.

Also after fooling around on the inside, I hoped you beached the Yak and got out and fished the Ocean side. The spot on the left of your first photo is a good spot to beach the Yak and take the short walk across to work the surf.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

No we didn't. Next time. I am definately going back one of these days. The fish by yak were hard as you said. When we started climbing the shore lines we did much better. Thanks for the tip about the inlet...
Old 06-16-2003, 12:32 PM

Think "bad case of striper thumb" may be an oxymoron.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Sam Riley,

The entire Irish Race is proud of you lad! For a while there we were thinking "The luck of the Irish" was a mere legend!

Now when a "doubting Thomas" casts aspersions your way, I'll be tellin the flibgibbet where he can head in! Start'n wit da Where the sun don't shine and going down hill from there!

Tis a great day for the Irish! I'll be buying you a wee taste of the water of life, ye foine strapping gossoon!

Did you launch at the Nauset TB and work your way west?

RJ

Hellofa job Coachin, Shaun! You'll be included in the drinks.

I like your timing for fishig the Cape before rushoure and heading home mid day! That will open up a few trips tothe Cape this summer for me.

Thanks!

Bob
Old 06-17-2003, 06:12 AM

first picture is AWESOME! second one isn't bad either!
Old 06-17-2003, 10:03 AM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

Bill,

If you look real close at the second picture you can see the line is going back to Shaun's boat.

Ray
Old 06-19-2003, 06:50 AM

Ray: thanks. my bad... you can't trust trust this guy, or any of his photos. I don't know why we shouldn't report him to the Moderators Ethics and Greivances Board. And, I'm really tired of him frantically casting to every fish that we release. Something has got to be done.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:59 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

Hey Bud... if I foul hook your fish and manage to land it before you do it's mine fair and square
Old 06-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

now I know why he insists on using straight 60lb flouro leaders...thats why I carry sizzors..