Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Hall of Fame

Old 06-11-2003, 07:06 PM

Unhappy Am I the only flyrodder that can't find fish?

After reading some of these threads, I figure I must be the worlds worst striped bass fly fisherman... I've been on the water(from shore) for about 12 hours this year with only one 15" twinkie to show for my efforts.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:51 PM

I'd imagine your average or better. There is definitely a positive bias towards posting.

My view is we are least two weeks behind. The bait is very spotty. Mainly because a spot I like to watch always had fish and huge numbers. Secret spot #5. So far I have seen nary a fish there.

Secondly, the wind blows in a different direction every other day. When the wind is right and the weather is cooperating people have great days.

Hopefully soon this unbalanced weather situation will stabilize.

I like to cover a lot of spots when I fish I have been a little too impatient, spoiled perhaps, with most of them.

I will say more fish are moving into the flats and the shallow crossovers. To me it means they are doing a little more than just passing through.

Last weekend wasn't bad despite the weather.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Sponsor

Re: Am I the only flyrodder that can't find fish?

Quote:
Originally posted by sparselytied
After reading some of these threads, I figure I must be the worlds worst striped bass fly fisherman... I've been on the water(from shore) for about 12 hours this year with only one 15" twinkie to show for my efforts.
Your not alone. We are not fishing the normal spots this year, nor are we using all of the same lures/flies. This year has been a challenge. I've got a few friends that I have fished with when my boat was down and I've learned some new stuff that I've applied. Also, you are limited by being shore bound. If you read my report from a few days back, we covered close to 150 miles in search of the spot that finally held good fish. We saved the day, but we ran from Cuttyhunk to Wasque to Hyannis to do it. When you find the fish it's nonstop action, and most of the time we've been lucky enough to get some big fish as well. But when you cant find them it's DEAD. There seems to be no middle ground. Where are you fishing? If your coming to the Cape, shoot me an email I have a few spots that may work for you from shore.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Riptide Charters
www.riptidecharters.com

Old 06-11-2003, 08:29 PM

Sparse,
You aren't alone....I have put in 100+ hours (wading the coast/in the yak) in the last few weeks and have one bass to show......finally getting some bluefish down here in NJ, but things in CT are still behind schedule. Word is the Hudson fish are finally moving out.....I sure hope so. Plenty of guys seem to be getting big fish down here (NJ), but nothing on flies yet.........

Cheers,
Adam
Old 06-12-2003, 06:56 AM

I strongly doubt your alone.

I have had a great year and caught my largest Bass ever so far, but I say this to encourage you only. Here's what I have been doing.......

1. I bought a great Loomis surf spinning rod and aren't in the least bit afraid to use it when the wind is blowing beyond my casting abiity,particularly at night.

2. I have halved then halved again my retreive speeds. I seek only to keep contact,very close contact, with my fly and let the current give it all the action.

3. I went to www.jackgartside.com and bought some of his tied flies. They were a bit more than had I tied them myself, but they are tied well and I am fishing and not tying. I say his flies, because he uses a ton of marabou and other breathing materials which give the fly action on it's own without my need to add action with the rod tip. I move the rod tip. I put an S in the line. I am now out of direct contact with that fly and may miss a strike and loose the change to set the hook. I am convinced this has happened to me 100s of times and I never knew it.

4. I hired a shore guide and told him I wanted to learn more than catch fish. I used a guide on Nantucket out of Bill Fisher's Tackle, but there are many fine ones around Boston. You can even hire Jack Gartside himself to help. Why did I pay for someone's help when I used to teach casting lessons years ago for Orvis? Because I needed the help. Period. I did whatever they said to do right down to changing my leader system etc.

5. I started keeping a journal with day, sunlight, current, tide, moon, flies/lures used,fish, drew a picture of the area with current sand bars etc.

6. I am ardently reading the forums on RT and fish only those locations where tons of fish have been reported. Fortunately for me, I know Plum Island very well.

7. I guess in closing, I have redoubled my efforts and really tried to examine my flychoice, retreive speed and meathod, learned when to fold and go spinning and put in a ton of hours with my headlamp on.

It sounds like you are putting in the time, I just thought I would mention what I have done. That being said, I am sure to go on a prolific dry spell now.
If you see a 30ish guy fishing from a Silver Pathfinder with a Rod Rack on the front, roof rack on the - well - er - roof, that would be me. Come on over and introduce yourself. I'll be the one with a fly rod in one hand and conventional or spinning gear in the other obsessing over the options. :)
Old 06-12-2003, 07:49 AM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

Re: Am I the only flyrodder that can't find fish?

Quote:
Originally posted by sparselytied
After reading some of these threads, I figure I must be the worlds worst striped bass fly fisherman...
I suppose I can be really rude and answer yes, but I won't.

I think the most important thing you can do to catch fish has nothing to do with the actual act of fishing. It's what you do before you go. I spend a lot of time studying the weather, tides, reports, and my experience before I decide where and when to go fishing. There has been many a day with perfect conditions when I haven't gone based on what I mentioned above.

So do a bit of studying and don't hesitate to make a few calls be for planning a trip or even just a few hours.

Ray
Old 06-12-2003, 08:15 AM

More time on the water = more fish.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:20 AM

I suspect you are not the worst. But even if you are---who cares---just being on or near the water beats working any day.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:27 AM
DIE HARD

true very true....my first year suck big donkey nutts then after i had done a lot of research i got on the water my second year and i caught more fish then i have ever caught before....
so go to a shop listen up and ask questions on what to do...
you be suprised who will help you out and maybe you'll even find someone to take you...hey my best friend now is the guy i met in a fly shop who i decided to take out fishing....he still is a ****ty fisherman but hey he's a great friend...so give it a shot you'd be shocked...

jon h
Old 06-12-2003, 08:29 AM
DIE HARD

oh ya and don't let jerks like un-named people discourage you...cuz i ain't caught much this year either...

jon h
Old 06-12-2003, 09:31 AM

Cool

Just remember that old saying we all go by:

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

Old 06-12-2003, 09:41 AM
20D da boat for me

Few and Far

Dont feel too bad about it. I spend pleanty of time on the water and things are slow. Good things come to those who wait.

There is an old saying: Even a blind squirrel will eventually find a nut.

Just kidding about that one. Just jeep putting your time in and your luck will change. You actually have done better than I have in the past week.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:45 AM
DIE HARD

that is more true than you know my friend...hahahahhahaha
Old 06-12-2003, 09:58 AM
20D da boat for me

Another

Another old saying an Old Timer once said to me :

" The sun even shines on a dogs a$$ every now and again "

That one cracks me up. Ahhhh what you learn from the elderly.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:10 AM
I'm smarter than stripers

oh man, I can't say I haven't caught alot because I do. My gf calls me obsessed with fishing, I call it passionate. But I do have to admit I have gotten lucky with timming. I talk to the shops everyday. I talk to other fisherman about what they have been doing. And I read this forum religiously since I joined. I have probably read 90 % of the threads that have been posted since I joined. There doesn't seem to be a lot of bass around, the largest caught in the mv rod and gun tourny was I believe a 28"er. But my secret spot_01 is loaded for some reason, with uber ogre fish. All that I can't catch just look at them as they eat bait fish. But everyone has tough days, look at my first time out when everynoe was catching something except me, and I posted i can't fish.
Mike