Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Hall of Fame

Old 06-12-2003, 10:17 AM
20D da boat for me

MDREW9

We may be dating the same woman. My girlfriend thinks I'm obsessed / weird. Claims my fishing is a problem to the relationship. I tell her given the choice of the relationship or fishing I'd take the fishing.

My Reasoning:
#1 Once you got them hooked and play around with them for a while you can let them go and they are not offended.

#2 No need to take them for a fancy dinner..... if anything they wind up being dinner

#3 They dont seem to mind if you hook up with 3 or more of their friends.

#4 Last but not least they dont talk back!
Old 06-12-2003, 11:11 AM

and if you get a keeper and it doesn't work out, there's always plenty of other fish in the sea.

my spring has been pretty slow, too, Sparsly. took a trip to the Vineyard last weekend (big bucks on ferry trip and beach pass), to go 10 hours without a bump. One keeper, one twinkie to show for the whole day (both in the last 1/2 hour of fishing).
Old 06-12-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm smarter than stripers

Wow, granted I haven't been out in a week or so but wow, where on the vineyard are you fishing where you can't catch anything for hours?
Mike
Old 06-12-2003, 11:43 AM
DIE HARD

another lakeville obsessed fisherman or should i say passionate fisherman ya i was on the vineyard last weekend and got the big goose egg for the tourny....

jon h
Old 06-12-2003, 11:46 AM
DIE HARD

vineyard haven cedar tree lobersterville squibnocket state beach the herring run south beach oak bluffs the draw bridge damn where else did i fish or should i say didn't fish....the only place i saw a fish was the jetty at vineyard haven but it was one little tiny fish....and saw some blues but other than that nothing....
Old 06-12-2003, 11:54 AM

we were out on chappy, fishing the gut (or is it cut?). I met up with some friends who had been on the island for three or four days, and they had done well there the night before (which was Saturday). Sunday was pretty well shut down from the Cape Pogue lighthouse all the way up to the gut. Lot's of guys driving around looking for fish. The guys I was with did a little better than I did, but we had others in the group who got skunked. It was my first time out to the Vineyard, and naturally I was pumped to get out there. It was a bit of a let-down, but that's all part of the game.

I call myself passionate, but my other half definitely thinks I'm obsessed. We watch travel shows on t.v.. She'll say "oh, let's go there. It looks beautiful". My response: "I've heard the fishing sucks. But you have a good time".
Old 06-12-2003, 12:04 PM
20D da boat for me

Woman

My woman works in corporate travel and she gets free airline tickets all the time. I'll be damned if she doesnt pick a place everytime that is landlocked or the nearest "fishn'n hole" is a 6 hour drive!

I say the same thing... send me a post card. My arguement is MY Vacation is so I can enjoy MYself. Not get dragged around to tourist traps and waste cash on trinkets. I mean c'mon.... let me think do I need a Snowglobe of Nashville for $50.00 or do I need a Tenny 300 line? Dugh thats a no brainer.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:10 PM
I come to play baby!

The best I can give of how to really learn fish, is to just put in the time, even in years like this there is a distinct pattern, and once that is found out, the fishing becomes very easy. For example, I spend almost every day this may trying to figure out the danvers river, and it took two weeks of three or four fish an outing before I figured them out, after that the 50 fish days became the norm. I honestly think that if you look for bait, current seams, propper structure, and say to your self "goddamnit, ima f'in learn how to nail fish in this spot or im gonna die trying" In my 15 years of fishing that is what I have done, and it has worked great for me. Hope this helps, and tight lines, you'll get em eventually man!
Old 06-12-2003, 12:16 PM

Unhappy

Join the crowd. I fish Long Island waters and, except for that early push of bluefish, it has been DEAD around here. No bait!! I went to Jones Inlet (the western tip of Jones Beach) yesterday and there were no terns diving at all. This time last year it was hard to cast without snagging a bird. Who knows? Maybe there is not enough plankton in the water to attract the bait fish?
Hopefully thingswill sort themselves out.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:22 PM
I'm smarter than stripers

speaking of the plankton in the water, what does everyone feel about the neon lights in the water, I have some meant for fishing that I never tried out. They are supposed to attract plankton which then attracts the bait fish, then the big boys.
Head out to the middleground there is action out there on coming and going tides, small fish on the top but some big boys down a bit. Jumping minnow and top water other than that green parachutes on wire.
Mike
Old 06-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

no bait

the lack or reduced # of bait has no dout accounted for spotty hit miss fishing. But there are plenty of fish around nonetheless. Locally, the herring runs CONTINUE to fish well, even as the water temps soar. Last year I wouldn't think about bass way up there in mid june, usually out front on the beaches. This year has everyone scratchin' their heads a little...
Old 06-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Relax

I wouldn't worry about it. You've fished 12 hrs, that's it?

There's so many factors. I mean yeah, if people were around you hammering fish during those 12 hrs and you get nothing, it's one thing. But other than that, don't feel bad.

Also it depends on what your targeting. It's not how many rats you catch, but how many keepers...Pretty much anybody can go to an estuary and cover a small rip blindcasting and take 12-16inch fish all day...If your fishing big water or trying to sight fish in the terrible weather pattern this spring, you could easily get skunked....
Old 06-12-2003, 01:55 PM

JonH, Can you confirm if assawampset (sp?) has been open for fishing? I heard rumors that it was, if so I'm sure there are some 15++ pound largemouths in there waiting to be caught. Does that include I think there called Big & little Quitikit (again spelling prob a little off)?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2003, 02:05 PM

4am helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I only fished once month ago this year, 2 hours before the sunrise and 2 hours early evening and I caught 41 fish (all stripers). My success rate improved dramatically 1,000% since I started fishing early morning few years ago. Please don't tell anyone about this time proven secret. By the way I will be fishing at the Canal starting 4am tomorrow

Tight Lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Veteran reel-timer

I was living in Wyoming and I stopped into a fishing tackle/post office/grocery store (the town had a population of 11) and I asked the old fellow about where to fish the North Platte.

Hey replied "the closer you get to the water the better the fishin".

So true.

The trick is to asorb the available information out there, and then apply that to experimenting with different spots or techniques.

If all else fails you can go to the fish market buy some fish and have the clerk toss it to you. That way you are sure to catch a fish!

DTB