Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 06-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Sponsor

Thumbs up 6/19 The Best day of my life (Limited Report)

I had planed to stay on shore today, but the light winds and moderate seas convinced me to head out to my hole again. I called Capt Joe (Dad) around 0830 and told him to meet me at Bourne Marina. By 0930 we were OTW and headed out. We got on scene and threw out a pair of eels. Right away Capt. Joe goes tight. He fights the fish in and we tape it at 45. While he is re-eeling I get a pick-up. When I set on the fish it feels heavy. It makes 2 long strong runs before heading deep and sulking. Based on the fish my customers have been getting I knew it was a decent fish but the bigger ones had been making 3 long runs and the mid 40er would make 2 good runs. I had trouble lifting the fish out of the 23 of water. When I got color I told Capt. Joe to give me a hand, that I had a pretty good fish on. When I got the fish close he remarked it was a hell of a fish. Again I though mid 40"s. When we lifted the fish in it was very apparent it was much bigger. I put the tape on the fish. 50.5 long and 29 in girth. I went for the digital camera and realized I left the memory card in the PC at home after yesterdays trip. Capt. Joe urged me to keep the fish telling me it was the 50 pounder Id been waiting for. Against his advice I put the big girl back in the water and she immediately thrashed twice. On the third time I sent her home. I watched the big tail move into the deep with mixed emotions. God knows I wanted to keep that fish, but why? I wanted to show everyone what I did. I dont need the meat; I have plenty in the freezer now. Im glad I let her go, my ego is a little bent not having the photo or the fish. But I think I made the right choice. Later in the day Capt. Joe hooked another monster fish, he landed it and we taped it. 49 long and 28.5 in girth. He has not kept a fish this year. He decided this one would be coming home. His biggest fish ever was taken off the beach nearly 20 years ago and weighted 37.5 pound. Many fish have come close over the years but none ever broke his record. I remember the stories as a kid of that day when he and Uncle Bob got 5 fish that weighted 128 pounds total, the 37.5 being the biggest. Im proud to say that Capt Joe has a new story to tell. Its about the day he was with his son and caught a 42 pounder together. The weight was confirmed by Nelson at Red Top this afternoon. Nelson felt based on the measurements my fish would have been close to 50 pounds like we had guessed. But that matters little compared to the look on my Dads face when he thanked me for the fish of his lifetime. I am having trouble typing this as I am not an emotional person, but the screen is a little blurry right now. Overall it was the best trip of my life with my favorite fishing partner. The rest of the details dont really matter. The summery, Me, Dad, a bucket of eels and a memory that will last forever.

Good Luck,

Capt. Terry Nugent
Riptide Charters
www.riptidecharters.com

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 06-19-2003, 06:44 PM

congrats!!!

sounds like an outstanding day!! you've really been into some big fish lately. i can't wait until my father has the time to come out with me. he's got a lot going on right now & not a lot of time for fishing. once again, sounds like an awesome day congrats!

dan

Old 06-19-2003, 07:10 PM

very nice rip, great memories to last a lifetime
Old 06-19-2003, 07:45 PM

now that your confused and teary eyed ...what did you say the GPS coordinates were for that honey hole .....just kidding!

I have a hunch you've put enough time on the water to realize how great it is when things come together.

Congratulations!

Last edited by PeteV; 06-19-2003 at 08:03 PM..
Old 06-19-2003, 08:14 PM
Sponsor

Good stuff Terry

Cool !

BTW,

I don't drink and my wife if pregnant so no wine next time.

Joe

www.flyfishsalt.com
Old 06-19-2003, 08:46 PM
Sponsor

Thanks Joe,

Maybe the nuts to the battery would have been a better option than the wine Sorry bout' that. It was the best I could do on short notice. I still owe you one.

BTW congrats on the soon to be fisherperson.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 06-19-2003, 11:19 PM

Terry:

What a great story. We all say that we go out for the fish (and we do) but the days that we remember the longest are usually those spent with family or close friends. You would remember this day forever because of that fish, but it's all the better because of who shared the moment with you.

There is no question you did the right thing. You just don't want to take a fish like that out of the gene pool.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-20-2003, 08:53 AM

good stuff!
Old 06-20-2003, 09:58 AM

Great Report ( again!! ) Riptide.

Damn, I can't wait to get out this wekend !!

One of the best memories I have is watching my Dad, now 65 yrs young, pull out a 44", 29lb striper off the monomoy flats last year on 10lb mono. The fish made quite a commotion when hooked in 2 ft water- at first I though it was a seal !!
great memory.

Congrats to you--Nice Fish !!
Old 06-20-2003, 10:11 AM

Riptide: Be prepared to have a lot of company!
Old 06-20-2003, 10:16 AM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

Capt.

Great report again. I think I'll keep a few for the long winter. Sounds like you have been consistantly getting nice fish. I have noticed the average size appears to be up this year.

Ray
Old 06-20-2003, 01:30 PM

Great story about Dad and son... you've got your priorities straight! Congrats!
Old 06-20-2003, 01:58 PM

Pretty work. I am sure that the memmory of that big girl swimming away is better than looking at her hanging from a scale
agin, nice job
TTB
Old 06-20-2003, 02:07 PM

Nice story Terry and congrats. I have those memories etched in stone, of most of the weekend fishing excursions I made w/my late dad. Nothing quite like it.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:05 AM

Terry,

Excellant story, brings to my mind several fun memories I had fishing with my Dad as I grew up. My dad recently passed away a month ago, all I can say is spend as much time with your Dad as you can, you will definately not regret it later.

Kevin