Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 07-02-2003, 07:48 AM
I come to play baby!

north shore 7/1 pm- great sight fishing continues along beaches

I love the fact the people keep flocking to chatham and that area for sight fishing, when they have yet to see the north shore flats. If one can find them, they will be having a great deal of success sight fishing to cruising bass in three feet of water, great fun! Large numbers of fish were crusing high looking for pollack seeking deeper water on the drop, and then the fish were keyed in on juvie flounder once the water went slack and the start of the incomer. These fish were not huge, yet the largest seen were high 30's and I brought one to the boat that was 32 inches that took a pollack fly that I posted in the fly tying forum. Still solid numbers of pollack around, and fished some baits after dark on depth contours looking for queen cow sliding up into the rocks. Caught a few mid thirties, until my last pick-up of the night.

It all started as a normall take, came tight on her, and she peeled out about 70 yards fairly quickly, more a delibrate than frantic run, this fish was very heavy. Tried repeadly to turn her head, finally did, and fought the fish for another ten minutes, it was see-saw until we both went for the win at once, she made a big surge as I was putting the bricks to her, and I gave, stupid mistake. She swam for the bottom, and I could feel my line chafing on the rocks. I tried one last desperate effort to raise her head, and the angle of pull was in my favor, she began to move, I thought I had it won for sure. Them, suddenly, the line parted....there goes a trophy. Reeled it in, and sure enough it was chafed through, this was a huge bass, I got a quick look at her tail once, and she seemed at least 45+ inches probably pushing 50. This fish felt much heavier than my 44 pounder though, so maybe, just maybe.... Thats it until tomorrow fellas, oh try the beachfronts when the doldrums hit, you just might be suprised by what you find.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:14 AM

Quote:
sight fishing to cruising bass in three feet of water, great fun! Large numbers of fish were crusing high looking for pollack seeking deeper water on the drop,
I think your fishing a unique environment.
This would be new for me. I fish around Cape Ann and although I've spent time on the flats I haven't seen pollack on the flats. I usally find the pollack tight to rocks and jetties. There were a lot of times when I was in areas with no rock structure and hoped to find a pollack so I could "live line" it for a bigger bass but I haven't been lucky enough to come across that. with my kids I've tossed a lot of bait on the flats & hooked stripers, blues, skates & flounder but haven't lucked out with a pollack.

When I fish Pollack flies its usually around some of the deeper drop-offs around Halibut and Andrews point or the Bass rocks area or around Eastern Point.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:22 PM

I fell your pain..hopefully the next battle goes your way!
Old 07-02-2003, 12:54 PM

Please keep posting your reports.

Those of us who live on the Cape appreciate your efforts to alleviate the fishing congestion down here and re-direct it to your area.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:09 PM

sight fishing

sight fishing is an interesting way to fish, unfortunately, the only sight we get on the sound (long island) is the pea soup we call water. of course the closer to RI. you get, the clearer the water. sorry to here about "the one that got away"

good report,

dan