Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Saturday, South of Block Island

Searched several hours seven to twenty miles south of Block from the tower and saw no tuna at all......Saw some other boats doing the same.......Fish were definately not there. There were scattered reports back at the dock that the BFTs were way further to the south west...

Set up for shark about 20 miles south of Block at about eleven oclock. My youngest daughter is facinated sharks......what kid isn't. The kids on the boat had a blast with some big blue dogs to 200#s. They saved the day even though we saw no makos. There's nothing better than putting a kid behind a good 200# pull with them knowing that a shark is on the other end.

Sunday just enjoyed a picnic on the Venture on the calm south side and then hammered the fluke with the kids for a few hours. Some pretty big fluke off the radar tower.

Heard very reliable reports of tons of Mahi up to 25#s out in the canyons.....If the weather is good for next weekend, that's were I'll be......trolling for tuna/marlin, and pot hopping with the fly rods.........should be fun.......
Howie
Old 07-21-2003, 02:57 PM
Break Neck Speed

Howie,
Nice to know I did not miss anything. After finding out that my new GPS/Chartplotter was delayed and I would not get it until this week I decided to postpone the Block Island run and stayed around the Southside of Montauk. We got there around first light and there was fish finning on the surface but we could not entice them with any flies or conventional stuff. We went inclose to shore from the white house and drifted east back and forth to Caswell's. We saw many, many large bass during the morning. The guy I had with me was the only one to hookup all morning, I got the big skunk unless you want to count the 16" fluke on a 14" fly I caught. I had one real big fish chase and grab my fly late in the morning but I jumped the gun on the hookset and missed him.............Man was I ****ed. I saw some fish that were seriously pushing the upper 40 lb. mark and maybe bigger, the tails on those fish were enormous. The fish seemed to be only cruising and not really feeding and the other problem was that most of the fish were in real close to shore. With all of the boulders and the rolling surf we could not stay in the zone safely for long periods of time. I mostly ran the boat for Kevin while he fished the bow. The fish only were interested in the biggest flies Kevin had these were huge 12" to 14" herring, bunker imitations that had alot of movement to them. I tried some small sandeel type patterns and they were completely ignored, the really big angel hair and synthetic flies were the ticket to the show. We fished until around 10:45 am. and then went over to Gardiners..........Tobaccolot Bay area, nothing doing there so we went to the Gulls and again nothing. Finished off at Plum/Sluiceway and got nothing. Beautiful day and very calm, too much sun but great company. Will have to try again soon and maybe bring along some eels just to see if I can get those giants interested in something because they didn't want any artificial offerings at all. We did try every angle in the book to hook those fish on the fly, believe me, my arm is killin' me from all of the casting and fast retrieving we had to do to get them to even look at the fly. Montauk was very empty for this time of the year, I can't believe there weren't more boats fishing this area. But maybe I should just shut up and keep it to myself, although I don't think that anyone else would have had any better success, there were a couple of guide's working near us that seemed to be having the same results as us. Till next time..................

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

Old 07-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Nomans/Wasque...

I had reliable word from one of my buddies that there were school bluefin off Wasque and Noman's Sunday...
Publisher
Reel-Time.com
Read my blog at AllThingsCahill.com
1 2 3 4 5 6
Old 07-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Mark, Your report prompts me to say that the only time I've seen schoolie bluefins really hang out in one area for any length of time is when they are in the 700 square off Montauk during the fall......perhaps this is because of all the draggers working that area during that time of year.and once that begins, the fleet of boats from Montauk throwing chunks keeps them really fed and happy to stick around. Otherwise these little guys really a usually on the move constantly, showing up here and there at any time. If there is no huge concentration of bait off Wasque, those fish will be out of there within a day or so.

Last year the fish really stayed put in Cape Cod Bay for quite a long while........due to the enormous amount of bait. But down here, as I said, the only time I've seen them stick to one spot is during the fall, when the draggers are working the area just off Montauk......

Howie.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Administrator

The three day cycle...

My experience is basically the same, they move a lot...

I did notice in the late '80s that it seemed as though they would get into a circular pattern where you would see them at a particular spot one day, gone the next two, then back the third. Several of the guys I knew that fished the area also noticed this pattern. I actually saw the same pattern at both the dump and a year or two later on Stellwagen.

That said, one thing is certain, with bft, they can be many miles away a day later...
Publisher
Reel-Time.com
Read my blog at AllThingsCahill.com
1 2 3 4 5 6