Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 08-09-2003, 10:07 AM
I come to play baby!

north shore 8/9 am- sound on a strong comeback

The fishing as of late has been a mixed bag. After my last post, the offshore hills have slowed down considerably, and the sight fishing has been almost non-existant due to the light situation. However, the yoty herring have begun to leave the harbors, and are being fed on actively by fairly large schools of fish. This morning was one of the better days for this surface activity, as I found pods of fish at the mouths of beverly, salem, manchester, and along devereaux beach. The thing that must be stressed here is that the fish have not been attacking with reckless abandon, they have been moving around in a very calculated manner, picking off bait at their own will, much like sippers do. After a few mornings of being stumped by these fish, I decided to lead them much like one would a flats fish, and bring the fly back in tiny, one to two inch strips but at a fast rate. The results were instant, and I figured them out, coming tight on a nice mid twenties bass. I gather that these fish are moving with the current and picking off the fish that were either injured or struggling in the current, which would explain why this retrieve worked. These pods were comprised of twenty to thirty fish, from mid twenties to low thirties, and while very spooky and hard to spot, took this retrieve with gusto. Also, when looking for these fish, do not look for birds, as there has been very few. You need to look for small pushes of water that look much like finning blues, it is these fish that are the ones that are feeding, as you will see the occasional swirl or pop. I am certain that other harbors will being seeing this behavior very soon if not already, so if you see this behavior try this strip, it keeps the fly in front of them longer, and looks great, you might just be suprised by what you come tight on. Thats it for now, Tight lines fellas.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:47 AM

Found those same fish this morning...approx 7am round Misery. By the time I switched to a intermediate, they were gone.

Nick
Old 08-11-2003, 08:51 AM

Nick,
Any blues in the mix?
Old 08-11-2003, 09:30 AM

Not that I could see, although I didn't hook anything this morning, so I can't be sure.

Nick