Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 08-13-2003, 11:53 AM

Casco Bay, Long Island, ME??? A little help...

This Long Islander from New York will be up in Long Island, ME next week. Please offer any advice for fishing these waters. I have a 7, 8, & 10wt outfit and will be wading from shore. The little I've received off the net sounds like I will need some grocerie flies and large decievers. So it sounds like the 10-wt. intermediate is the call. Any advice will be helpfull.

Questions... Is the water primarily flat or are we talking steep drop offs. I have floater, intermediate and a 350grn. full sink. What about top water crease flies and poppers? Does the temperature of the water warrant waders or is wet wading out of the question. Do I need korkers, are we talking rocky ledges...Thanks a billion looking forward to getting up there.

BG
Old 08-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Used to fish up there alot, especially from harpswell to the harraseekett, down to the presumpscott. You will need waders, the waters up there never get real comfortable.
Wade carefully due to all the rockweed on the granite rocks. Each island is different some can't even be fished from shore, some have flats on the southeasterly sides. Some islands drop off fast, some don't. Depending on their positioning in the bay. Whaleboat Is(off Harpswell) goes to like 70+ft within a half cast from the shore. Remember the tide is ~9-11ft, so some holes may only hold fish for an hour or so. Bring your 10WT & 8Wt(for schoolies & blues).

Larger decivers that imitate macks or pollack. Present your fly from different angles around the rocks. I remenber several times where retrieving the fly from a different angle near a rock brought up a fish that had no clue was there. Also, you may see some nice bass follow your fly or nose it without taking. If this happens over and over, get the spinner out, try to hook a mackeral and toss it into the spot......PM me if you need more info.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:44 PM

Looks like nice water

Hope these help. Looks like there is some great wadeable areas. Bet that water is cold now-hope you have neoprene!
Old 08-13-2003, 12:44 PM

Here's the South

Long Island South

DEPTHS ARE IN METERS!

Last edited by CHUCKNDUCK9; 08-13-2003 at 12:56 PM..
Old 08-14-2003, 10:36 AM

There is some great striper water off Long Is. but most of it needs to be fished by boat on the backside (ocean side), it is all private property and real rocky (hard to get around on foot). One place worth taking a shot with flies is the small beach on the backside (the only beach), it's mostly schoolies but very clear water. Problem is you need to fish it EARLY, before anyone gets on the beach and the fish are hit or miss (either there or not). There are a few spots on the bay side that may be fishable around the ferry dock, but most fish are taken on bait there (some big fish), this time of year is tough on the fly guys. Not saying it can't be done but a guide is your best bet because fish are on the move this time of year and what is not going on at Long Island may be happening 8 miles away on another island. My2 cents.......Good luck

PS- Waders and creepers if you plan on going it by foot.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:18 AM

Casco Bay Replies

Thanks a bunch for all your replies. This sight is great for many things. Good luck to all.