Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-26-2003, 11:43 AM

Question Sluggo's ??

This is going to sound off the wall- but I have never had much success fishing sluggos for bass. Maybe I have never given them a chance always going back to what has worked for me time and again. But can someone offer some info about how you rig them, weighted or un-weighted, what pound test are you fishing them on (seems like they are hard to cast), and what sizes 4", 6", 8"?? I know some guys claim to even catch BBFT on them - it does not seem possible.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:01 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I wish I could wear a rubber nose & glasses when responding to this because I take a lot of crap from my buddies about sluggos. I am an avid flyfisher, but I do keep a rod rigged with a sluggo. Since I don't have a lot of experience, don't put too much currency in my advice.

So much for the disclaimer. My own personal experience is the sluggo can be VERY effective - trolled or cast. I always use the weighted jig, primarily because it casts SO much further and if I go to a sluggo, it is usually because I need to make a quick, long cast that is otherwise out of reach of my flyrod or I'm changing flies or something. Also, it is a great backup when I have a guest on board who cannot or does not want to flyfish.

Having said that, my impression is that the weighted sluggo is more effective than the non-weighted. The non-weighted does not cast well and basically behaves like a surface lure - which really limits your ability to search the water column. Also, I prefer the larger sizes - 6-8".

My rod is a 6 1/2 foot graphite with 15 lb. test on a Penn 4500. It casts just fine.

What a kick in the pants a BFT would be on a rig like that!! I have only caught stripers and blues on mine.

Hope you hear from other, more expert users.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:11 PM

Simply put if I could use only one lure for the rest of my life it would be the 6" slug-go. There isn't another lure that is able to be used for as many conditions or species.

I believe I already posted this picture a while back but here it is again.

Hook goes in the nose then out the chin

Slide all the way up to hook eye and rotate point towards the belly.

Push through so that it comes out the top. Can be made weedless buy sticking the point into the back.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:19 PM

I use the 6 inch version on a 1/2 ounce jig and they are tough to beat when the bass are chasing sand eels. The Golden Shiner or Arkansas Shiner colors are great sand eel imitators.

Fish them all over the water column. An occasional twitch often brings a strike.

They don't work well for blues since the tails just get chopped off.

Al
Old 08-26-2003, 12:20 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

some here feel they should be banned....

soft plasticcs(sluggs, fin-s, zooms) are one of the best artificals you can use. It is not hard to see why when you see the action you can get from them. Yes, BFT will hit them(under the right conditions) as well as any predatory fish out there.

The rigging directions are on the back of the package, if you use a jig head, make sure its threaded on straight. To add more weight when rigged "texas style", snipp off a small piece of a nail or screw. Fit this inside the head of the sluggo after rigged. Also, by twitching the rod tip in a downward/sideways motion between reels will cause the best action from the soft plastic. Colors- ark. shiner, alewife, rainbow smelt, black, white.

Don't bother with plastics if blues are around. They do not last long at all. Bass love them, how are you not catching bass on these things....
Old 08-26-2003, 02:37 PM

rubbernose & glasses

i have hooked up but never successfully landed (due to my chronic unpreparedness, using light tackle) many school BFT using the tufcore lance in blue ice. Bass do tend to enjoy them as well.
Obviously its a Sluggo knock-off.

http://www.nettersinc.com/sleadlance.asp

The bait claims durability and castability, without the risk of the baits pants sliding off the lead head, making it superior when casting frantically trying to get actively feeding fish to eat.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:51 PM

I have used a version of these cored plastic baits a few years back and they do last a VERY long time. I used the smaller versions for smallie fishing and I think they lasted me two or 3 seasons of abuse. I will buy the larger striper size today!

I knew someone had a bait like this but I did not know where to find them... thanks
Old 08-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I love the plastics... Prefer to use no weight but do when it is needed. The fins are also deadly. I prefer to fish them with no weight.... Slow retrieve with the occasional twitch drives them crazy....
Old 08-26-2003, 08:27 PM

Thanks guys- I do fish many different soft plastics but just have not done well with the sluggos? Don't know why- thought I was missing something in the rigging BUT maybe I just need to put a little more faith in them....
Old 08-26-2003, 08:44 PM

I agree that if I only had the choice of one lure to use all season it would have to be a sluggo-style plastic. When used as a surface lure (unweighted) it can trigger dramatic strikes. With a 3/8 to 3/4oz jig head you can cover anything from 2' to 35' in depth. One caveat, buy quality hooks and jigs. I've been using an Owner work hook this year which is nice as it has a squared off gape at the back which makes it easy to set the hook location correctly. Nice wire gauge and sticky point. For jig heads it's Kalin and nothing else. I've had friends out that use the cheepo jig heads and seen heartbreak when they come back with a straightened hook shank (yes, it's happened to me too)
Work 'em on the surface on the flats, in deep open water, even in the rips. Can't beat 'em.

Then we need to talk about color choices........
Old 08-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Break Neck Speed

Bluwatr,
Found the bones today and bass off the wall the last 2 days up to 37" all on fly. Email for details don't want to create a riot on the water if you know what I mean. Man there were alot of boats out for the last 2 weekdays. Talked to a guide who said it is because of the internet. Don't now why but there have been alot of guy's out on the reefs lately.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

Old 08-26-2003, 09:20 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Talking

Finatic,

Don't be;ieve anything these guys tell you! It's all rumor and lies.
Sluggos don't catch anyhting. It's all a giant machiavelian plot hatched up by the folks at lunkercity.com
Sluggos are nothing more than urban legand.
The only reason I carry 25 in my bag is as a decoy. Just to throw other guys off the trail as to what I'm using.

Hope I helped.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:58 AM

Love all the rubber baits + a new favorite - Slick Willie's.

Thought the name was a joke but they are for real. More dense than a sluggo & neutrally bouyant, you fish them unweighted, rod tip high they wil dart & jump out of the water, rod tip low they dart under water a 1' or so. Had some insane action on them a few weekends ago, bas leaving the water and diving down on them.

They're all good.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:30 AM

6" slug-go or netter's lance unweighted on 10 -12# test with a 30- 40# shock tippet. I landed a 36-incher on this rig last summer, that was a fun fight. I also had luck with the smaller netters weighted sand lance in bue ice early in the season and try throwing a white 9# slug-go for some real fun.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Spoiled by Tuna

They can make good teasers when jigging too. I know some people who even glue hooks to them and "flyfish"