Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-02-2003, 09:32 AM

Smile Not any given Sunday

It always seems to be worth the trip! The head aches of packing the car, kids and wife and making the normal 7 to 8 hour trip on Friday night to Eastham where quickly relieved when we pulled on to the Jersey turnpike and viewed an empty road. I actually put on the news channel to make sure nothing had happened. Labor Day weekend and no traffic, I just didn't get it. Looking back, this could have been an omen!

Hit the RT 6 rotary at midnight and was thrilled. Rested up and took the family on a Whale Watch on Saturday thinking it would be helpful in extending my day on the water tomorrow as well as a possible recon mission. Ended up being a great day, lots of whales but not a single bird. A few tuna boats but I think they were more interested in checking out the whales - it didn't look to fishy.

That night, I was joined by life long best friend Dave "Mr. August" Armstrong and Capt. Mark. We watched the weather channel for about 3 hours and after mutliple checks on NOAA.org we thought it best to head to Chatham. OTW at 6am Sunday and headed out of Stage Harbor. Initially we were going to try a spot we heard good reports from on the day before but when we turned the corner for the light house, it was really, really ugly, 5-6 Ft and 20 knot winds. Capt. Mark decided we better go hide behind South Monomoy. That was omen #2 and indeed ended up being the place to be. Instantly we saw birds working all over and blues gorging themselves. In the first 4 hours we had to catch a minimum of 45 blue fish mostly (5 - 8lbs).

We decided to get out of the wind and move a little closer to Monomoy and grab a bite to eat. While eating our breakfast/lunch I heard, "take a look under the boat". To my surprise, there were Stripers everywhere, 1000's, like I have never seen before! They were concentrated in an area about the size of a football field and Capt. Mark, marked them on the GPS. For the rest of the day we drifed that area with non-stop action. This was not your normal Sunday on the water. The fish never left, there wasn't much bait in the water but they were in that spot like they were stuck to a magnet. We were in about 7 Ft of water, not sure of the temp. Total count of stripers was 30+ all between 27 - 33inches. There were alot of huge fish in the mix but we didn't seem to get any large fish to bite. The slugo seemed to out fish the flies. And with Capt. Mark and Dave being purist to the fly nation, I obviously kicked there butt. Overall, best day on the water I have ever had and no one better to do with with than Dave and Capt. Mark.

Ended the weekend resting on Monday and playing with the kids on the beach. And it ended like it started with hitting the road and finding it empty once again!

Dave and Mark, thanks again!
Old 09-02-2003, 09:41 AM

this may be easier

I hate this computer!
Old 09-02-2003, 09:42 AM

Sorry fellas, cant upload more than one at a time!
Old 09-02-2003, 09:44 AM

What the *&^%$, Mark if you can resize the first one, that would be great!
Old 09-02-2003, 01:16 PM

Great Post Shawn-O!!....you just forgot one thing: How come you forgot to mention how you broke down and cried like a little schoolgirl at the end of the day when you realized that I beat you on the flyrod by 2 to 1? Or when you collapsed on the deck of the boat in a tantrum when Capt. Mark caught the biggest striper of the day??? Huh...that part of the trip must have slipped your mind!?!? All kidding aside...it's always great to have you up here and it's always a highlight to be able to fish with you whenever we get the chance! (Even if you do cry when I catch twice as many fish than you with the longrod!) That's OK though...the world needs Sluggo chuckers too!!
Old 09-02-2003, 01:39 PM

Dave,

If I remember correctly, you are the expert, I am the student. You had the front of the deck for two hours casting to fish that were so thick I could walk across them but didn't catch one. You changed flies like my daughter changes her diapers to find what they were eating. During that time you got to listen to the sweet sound of my drag ripping off over and over and over. When I told you what to tie on, you wouldn't listen. Then tell everyone what happened........okay, I will. I picked up the fly rod and tied on one of those nice sand eel patterns you made me and what happened first cast? Do you remember? Ya, that's right, I was hooked up while you were sitting on the deck resting you arm from casting. It's tough when you can't catch a fish to brake up the double haul!! After I embarresed you, I decided to put my fly rod away immediately to not put you through any more torture, as I wanted to keep you as a friend for future years. Part of the fun in fishing is to actually catch fish, wheather you are using light tackle or fly, it is still fun. I guess you are still learning that.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:57 PM

Good point Onidog! You certainly did catch more fish than me....but I'm not sure if dangling a six inch treble hook off the back of a Sluggo and snagging them actually counts as "catching" fish?!?!? Your knickname should be "Foul-hook", not Oneidog!! Maybe next time you'll just bring some dynamite and a net so you can really slay them , huh?!? You Sluggo chuckers are all the same!!!...anything for a photo-op!!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:32 PM

I want some of that......

luck!

You stopped for a lunch break and were swarmed by stripahs!

meanwhile i sucked down a tank of gas and changed lures more times than i change my sons diapers when he has diarrhea (is that how is is spelled) for 1 27" bass.

great story shawn-0. when are you coming to Marsh-vegas to spread some of that luck...errr skill, yeah skill thats the ticket.

-Mike
Old 09-02-2003, 02:52 PM

Tin Can Mike,

It really was an incredible day. I actually have to come up for business next week for a few days. I will get with you on the details and maybe we can head out for an early evening. I will be on the south shore. Tell Dana I said hello. Get your fishing in now, time is ticking away until the new arrival comes!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 03:12 PM

Mike,

The funniest thing of all was seeing Dave "Mr. August" Armstrong (the purist) tie a sluggo to a hook and try to cast that with his 9 wt. with floating line. He really hit ROCK BOTTOM that afternoon! But he finally caught a fish.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:28 PM

Tin Can

Shawn-O,
I will take "Tin Can" as an upgrade over "Tin Foil" Mike either way their is no confusing me for "Iron" Mike.

If you think tying a sluggo to a fly rod is rock bottom then you should see the long lining method I recently employed to get a strike. It involves a boat rod with 100# Braid, 37 circle hooks bated with eels, macks, squid, herring, pogies, eels, sand eels, lobsters, crabs, tin cans, pollock, flounder, eels, clams, more clams, and roast beef.

just kidding.....but i was thinking about it.

-Tin Can
Old 09-02-2003, 03:47 PM

Oneidog....The only reason that it took me so long to catch a striper on Sunday with the fly rod was because...yes, as a purist, and a gentleman....I was fishing with only size 1/0 Yellow Humpy dry flies over those fish. Granted, there may be more effective ways to catch stripers, but I am not out there to put up numbers, or bludgeon tons of fish for the sake of a photo and some freezer burned striper flesh that will innevitably be thrown away in 6 months! I opt to respect the sport of gentlemen and fish as fishing should be done. Like a gentleman. Now, that is not to disrespect your style of "snag 'em and drag 'em" fishing, but those of us in the know just choose to stay above that level. That is not to say that I am right and you are wrong...I'm sure you Southern Jersey rednecks really enjoy fishing from time to time to break up the monotony of the non-stop squirrel huntin' and road kill collecting. Keep practicing your double haul on those deformed kivers down in Jersey....from what I hear, there is a new rule just imposed on Capt. Mark's boat: No Sluggo Chuckers allowed!!!!