Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-10-2003, 03:23 PM

Question new york 9/27-10/5

hi everyone... i will be in new york 9/27-10/5 and will have my rod with me... (do i want to bring my 8, 9 or 10 wt.?)... where can i fish from shore, or wading easily that i might actually get into some of the fall stripers? i fished douglaston/little neck bays for 3 days this summer and did well, but most of the fish were in the 2-4 pound range... i will have access to a friend's truck, so wherever you guys think in the ny area is ok with me. i am from nyc originally, so i know my way around... any info and ideas (places, tides) would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:12 PM

Take all three rods and head to Montauk. If you want to stay closer to NYC, try the Breezy Point area. There's albies there already. Montauk hasn't heated up just yet. That's a pretty vague question, as you know, its a big island. I suggest you read this sight as well as the "reports" section of www.noreast.com.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:22 PM

thanks, brushfly... i was beginning to wonder what i'd done to get so many views and so little help. i'm sorry the original question was vague, i guess i'd go just about anywhere on the island to get some good shots. i figured montauk was the best bet, but have heard it's a zoo this time of year on the beach, and that fly fishers are pretty much out of the game distance-wise... any other specific suggestions, i'll go wherever i need to. thanks in advance...
Old 09-14-2003, 02:31 PM

Hey Danny,

Your' right, Montauk can be a zoo that time of year. Fly fisherman can get squeezed out due to the crowds. However, there are times when you can get some good licks in if you stay away from the immediate area around the point. Be prepared to walk a bit. At the lighthouse parking lot, walk back west on the road and follow the dirt path down to Turtles Cove. The cove is usually crowded. But from there you can walk west along a rocky beach and usually you can access some good water. Bring korkers if your fishing off a rock. You will also find paths just west of the lighthouse on the north side. These paths will take you to some great spots. If the fishing's real hot they should be crowded. Sometimes you can just luck out and find access.

Another fly rod option is to drive through town to East Lake Drive. Take it north till the end. There's a jetty which lines the harbor. Sometimes Albies make a showing here on a moving tide. If your one of the first on the jetty, you can have some shots if they arrive. That same beach (Gin Beach) can be walked east to Shagwong with some shots at times with all three local fish.

Finally, if you get a beach permit and have FWD, you can drive the beach looking for action from the lighthouse west on the North Side and along town. Also directly, to shag. Theres lots of restrictions and rules I'm not up on since I hoof it. Ask for help on this in the Surf Forum.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:34 PM

Danny,

Forgot to mention. Distance. Obviously, sometimes it's a definite issue. Other times its not. The fish sometimes are in the wash. I've been on the afformentioned jetty with Albies two rod lengths away breaking water. The wind is the main issue that time of year. Hopefully in a 10-15mph wind you can throw it 60+. Its not uncommon that time of year for the wind to be 15-20. Heck, the last few days and with Isabell in the forecast we'll be lucky if it's 15-20. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:01 PM

thanks alot, brushfly... i appreciate it. i'll try to make it out there at least once...
Old 09-15-2003, 12:11 PM

Danny:

Montauk is great, of course, but if you can't drive that far and just want to spend a few hours closer to NYC, rent a boat and fish Jamaica Bay. It's cheap and the water should have excellent numbers of bass and blues in late September. Last year it was a blast at that time.

There are two places to rent that I know of:

Capt. Mike's in Howard Beach
718-641-1659

Smitty's in Broad Channel
718-945-2642

It's amazing how far you can get around in little 7.5 hp outboard. Buy the good map and watch out for old pier obstructions and rocks. Watch your tides, too.

This summer I headed out in a rented boat on a Friday morning, fished a few hours, returned to the dock and headed into the office to take care of some stuff before the weekend. Driving into Manhattan from the Belt Parkway can produce massive stress, but after fishing all morning...it could be worse.

Also, going out with a guide the first time out in Jamaica Bay is good...you'll learn the water better this way.

George
Old 09-15-2003, 12:31 PM

thanks george... that's also a day i'll do... it's a lot closer, and i've heard great things about the bay. i didn't know they had baots for rent... cool. good idea. thanks again.