Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 09-30-2003, 09:21 PM

Question Northshore Area Sea Run Brown Trout

I have read bits and pieces of info about sea run browns in the Parker and Ipswich Rivers but nothing concise/complete Anyone able to provide a direction to head for some straight info concerning this fishery?

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 10-01-2003, 07:25 AM
Reel-Timer

Try the guys at First Light Anglers....if anyone would know Nat and Derek would.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:17 AM

Head farther north

I think the best sea-run fishery is up in Maine on the Mousam and Ogunquit rivers. I have fished the Ipswich and Parker's a handful of times but it is spotty at best. I have only headed up to the Ogunquit once and the spot where it dumps into the salt was frozen solid but I hear that is a great spot. We headed over to the Mousam and fished a really nice riffle that dumps into a long pool(most of which was frozen) and that looked promising as well but I think it was a might bit cold for it. The guys at Eldredge Brothers Fly Shop in Ogunquit are excellent on this subject.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:10 AM

I can remember 19 yrs. ago ,My wife anmd I were up Maine on our honeymoon,stopped at Ogunquit Beach,watched an oldtimer flyfishing behind the hotel. He was letting the fly drift towards the bridge (outgoing tide), and we could see the fish come out from the shadows as the fly approached(he never hookrd up ,but close)
Old 10-01-2003, 09:13 AM
It's Raffi !

Are sea-run brown trout also called speckled trout, and/or weakfish ?

thx.
-ff
Old 10-01-2003, 10:59 AM

Sea run brown are different from sea trout/weakfish

The sea-run browns are the same species as a freshwater brown trout but like most salmonids have the genetic makeup of an anadromous fish.
Sea trout and weakfish/squeteague(sp?) can tolerate a certain amount of brackish water but do not migrate up into freshwater the way sea-runs do.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Steelheader & Albieholic

FlyFreak, sea run brown trout are actually freshwater trout that run out into the ocean (like an Atlantic Salmon) and then return to spawn in the rivers.

Weakfish/speckled trout are saltwater species that are available from Texas to lower New England. They are referred to as trout because their spots resemble those of a salmonoid. The weakfish and speckled trout are actually two separate species, but are closely related and they overlap range in some parts of the Atlantic Coast. Hope this helps!

As far as sea run trout, its my understanding that there are some solid fisheries south of the Boston area...don't want to get too specific and upset anyone. Never fished them myself but there were a few articles written about the subject in some major publications. Do know one thing about the sea runs, from my experience with them out here in MI (lake-runs actually) is that they can be really finicky and streamers seem to be the best way to get them.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:28 AM
I come to play baby!

Marty that beard is out of controll!!!! haha
But I have fished the parker several times without success, I have seen fish working, but only had one hit and that might have been bottom.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Free Willy

I had heard rumors, months back, that some people were going to raise funds through some of the local shops and groups to enhance the ipswich fishery.......not sure what panned out..........

Old 10-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Wicked Stripah

I used to fish the mousam all the time. Great for both sea runs and large browns. Not too hard to get to from mass, and great fishing. I forget the parks name, but there is a park in downtown Kennebunk that has ample parking and great access to some good fishing right there. Since it's tidal right there, you don't need a license.