Forum Navigation

Search

Old 01-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Sponsor

1/17 My little pond report

Today I took my father in law out to the little pond to introduce him to ice fishing. We were OTW around 11:30. The weather was much milder today with temps in the upper 20’s. The sun was shining and jackets were used as seats instead of being worn. Today there were a dozen kids playing hockey on one side of the pond, so we kept our traps out of their way.

After all 10 traps were out the flags started to fly. We had one trap that popped a dozen times. The first few the fish took a bunch of line but we couldn’t hook up. I finally resorted to a small treble hook and began to even the odds. We chased flags for several hours from one end of the pond to the other. Before it was over we were both tired and soaked from sweat. We managed around a dozen fish, all bass except for one perch. The biggest was around 2#. Once again I think the perch ran us ragged. The shiners today were a bit bigger and we would find them less scales after a flag would go off. Even with all the misses, it was fun to run from trap to trap the entire time.

Over all a great day OTW. Jim (the father in law) is ready to go and buy some traps and start ice fishing near his house in NH. The weather couldn’t have been better and the number of flags was just crazy.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 01-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Terry if you have a flag that keeps getting set off by what is probably a small perch. Pull the line and jig the whole with a small lure like a swedish pimple. After you catch or sting the offending pisces, you can put your tip up back in the hole.

I managed to get a few hours on Lake Chauncey before going to work. Managed only 1 fair size pickeral.

Old 01-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Dawn on CC Bay

Bob,

Have you ever pulled a tiger or pike out of Chauncy? For all the stocking the Division has done there over the years you'd think it would be loaded, but I've never had any luck there. Plenty of pickerel and perch though, like every other pond around here. Maybe the place is heavily fished during open water season?

-bd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Parsons
Terry if you have a flag that keeps getting set off by what is probably a small perch. Pull the line and jig the whole with a small lure like a swedish pimple. After you catch or sting the offending pisces, you can put your tip up back in the hole.

I managed to get a few hours on Lake Chauncey before going to work. Managed only 1 fair size pickeral.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:44 AM

Nice report...

Hi all,
I will be taking the (3) kids out Monday. Which is why I'm working today . I know already they want their own tips. What's the rule of thumb on the distance between the tip-ups. Maybe none ?
Old 01-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Administrator

I've seen good size pike come out of Chancey but have not caught one myself. I did have one weekend on A1 where I got a tiger muskie on a saturday and then sunday a pike.

Old 01-18-2004, 07:07 PM

were those caught through the ice bob?