Forum Navigation

Search

Old 01-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Searchin...

DNA flies

Picked up some DNA material at the show in Joisey along with some sili skin and came up with this pattern:
#2 EC hook
White DNA tail
Silver sili skin over a piece of .030 lead tied under shank to form belly
Silver, copper and tan UV crystal flash lateral line tied over silver sili skin
Tan DNA as wing over above
Head covered in pearl sili skin.
Any suggestions? Yes, it's probably more complicated than it needs to be, but hey, it's winter and I'm bored!
Old 01-26-2004, 04:16 PM

Albies

Definitely looks like a nice Albie fly. I assume you are using the thin sili skin. The thick stuff I have would make the head about an inch thick with two layers.

Sean
Old 01-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Big Kahuna

Wow!
That Fly Looks Great....it's Going To Catch More Than A Few Big'un's. I Gotta Buy Some Of This Sili Skin.....and Tie This Fly!
Old 01-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Capt... I also picked up the DNA and have it in some nice shades of green and olive and I think it will make some nice sparse Sand eel Patterns... I will be tying up my box next month and will post some of my working sand eels...
Old 01-26-2004, 06:40 PM

Silly skin tuff?

Hey, the fly looks great, it should fool a few albies, How does the material hold up to a bite. Will it stand up to several hookups or the toothy bluefish? The old epoxy is a pain to work with several coats, but it holds up to a bite.
Keep up the innovative tying.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:04 PM
Searchin...

I didn't even know there were 2 different thicknesses to the stuff! I assume it's the thin since the fly is only 1/16" thick w/ two layers. I really can't say how well it holds up but I spent some time at blane chocklett's (sp?) booth picking his brain and he said it'll hold up to a bunch of toothy critters. You can rip the stuff and push it back together, kinda like silly putty. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Tyin' one on...

Nice fly! I'll bet there's a trophy out there just waiting to eat it!

I really gotta try that Sili-Skin, it looks like there is so much that can be done with it. I was at the show in Joisey on Friday, but for some stupid reason, did not grab any of it. I did however, stock up on those great bucktails from Saltwater Edge.

><////(@> ><)))'>
Flyfishing + Saltwater= Empty Checking Account
Old 01-27-2004, 09:49 AM

Sili Skin

I juststarted working with the SiliSkin and find it difficult to work with when applying it over itself. Does it work better when applied over a different medium such as DNA or any other synthetic??? I want to make this stuff work. I'm missing a simple step somewhere...
Old 01-27-2004, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

I can't help you with what to do, but what not to do I am all over that. Do NOT use super glue to seal the seams or keep it together. The glue dries opaque and will ruin the translucent color refracting effect of the skin. Killed a few flies that way.

Also, add color from markers on the inside. before folding over, but too much color will cause the adhesive to become less "sticky". Killed a few flies that way too.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Big Kahuna

Pardon my ignorance. What is DNA material and where can it be purchased. Is it generic or a specific brand? Thanks
Old 01-27-2004, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller
Pardon my ignorance. What is DNA material and where can it be purchased. Is it generic or a specific brand? Thanks

DNA is a new synthetic material. It comes in huge assortment of colors and the closest thing to it I would say is fluro fibre. In Mass I know Bear's Den has just about every color under the rainbow. I would check with your local fly shop as I think most are stocking it or will be.

Sean
Old 01-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Big Kahuna

Thanks Sean
Old 01-27-2004, 05:05 PM

Hi guys, I saw your threads re: siliskin and associated problems with using it. I have a few observations of the stuff. There are 2 thickness types with siliskin but I think the thinner version is the one you will see most often. I bought some of thet thicker stuff from him direct last year and it made real good baby bunker patterns. The single biggest complaint I have heard from people experimenting with it is that it tends to stick to itself if not peeled off the backing correctly.(I have ruined my share of it peeling it off too quickly) If you peel it slowly and evenly, you can get it to come off the backing without doubling over on itself if the peice you are using is not to large. This material does make a very good durable fly however, so it is worth the trouble. There is an alternative I found while tying at the Cleveland FFF expo a couple of weeks ago. It's called Bill's strechy foam. It's a product put out but Bill Skilton of Boiling Springs, PA. It does not have a sticky side but if you double it over on itself it will stick together nicely! The neat thing about this stuff is that you can strech it and it retains the streched shape...weird
Anyway it comes in 1/32", 1/16", and 1/8" thickness...looks like squid tying time!
Old 01-27-2004, 05:27 PM

Hell--I live 4 miles from Boiling Springs and there is a nice fly shop there. I'll have to go check this "stretchy foam" out. Thanks--CG
Old 01-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

When using the sili skin I have found that it helps to have all your pieces cut first. Say I'm tying 2 dozen 2/0 Peanuts while watching the tube. The first thing I do is cut all the sili skin pieces out in the appropriate rectangular shape. allowing some excess. When the time comes to apply them, peel off only half of the backing. Place that side where you need it, then peel off the other side and do the same. Give a good squeeze and then trim to shape. Once it touches itself it's almost impossible to get apart and still have it look good. The best thing about it is it seals itself and no glue is even needed. Most stick on eyes stay on with no further adhesive, and do not come off easily.