Forum Navigation

Search

Old 02-02-2004, 11:29 AM
The truth is out there...

Report and bait size Q

Went out sunday early and found a good panfish bite on the jig. Close to 50 fish in 13' of water--the first jig hole was so productive I didn't have to move. Mostly perch, but some sunfish, crappies and pickerel. It has been the same every trip so far a wide open bite on the jig, but nothing on bait. Big fish of the day was a 4.6 lb (on the digital scale, no pin-he went back) pickerel on a 1/64th oz jig. Followed that up with a 3.2 lb pickerel on the 1/10 oz pimple. Big pickerel on tiny jigs! I even had a large shiner a couple feet away, but they picked the jig. It has been the same thing all season, smallest jig= biggest fish. I always catch more bass/pickerel on the jig than I do with my 4 bait lines, but in the last couple weeks I haven't had a hit on bait. I am fishing the big shiners--but I have never had baits in the water so long without a hit. I am considering down-sizing the bait because the small stuff seems to be catching the fish. Admittedly I could up my catch by fishing elsewhere, but time is very limited these days and I would prefer to stay near home and spend all my time fishing and not driving.
Are you guys getting bit on the big shiners, or are you using the smaller ones? I don't really want to fish for perch on my bait rods--the jig produces enough, but I would like to up the bass count and have something big enough to interest a tiger.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Administrator

I use mediums since such a wide variety of fish can take them. The tiger muskie and the pike I caught a few seasons back came on a small swedish pimple. I don't think the large fish like to expend too much energy on some days and find the small prey easy.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Long-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Parsons
I use mediums since such a wide variety of fish can take them. The tiger muskie and the pike I caught a few seasons back came on a small swedish pimple. I don't think the large fish like to expend too much energy on some days and find the small prey easy.
To paraphrase Bob, I've too have caught a wide variety of fish on many sizes of bait and lure. My experience is that perch will try and down a huge shiner. However, I do find that large shiners produce larger fish. If you're worried about a sluggish bass that's not motivated, simply clip the tail fin down to one lobe. I do this anyway, as the swimming action of the shiner looks more erratic.

Hope this helps.

DW
Old 02-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
simply clip the tail fin down to one lobe
That's what perch are for. They tire and cripple your bait so the bigguns can have a go at it. Plus you have the added benifit of all that excersize chasing flags with dropped bait.

Old 02-05-2004, 05:44 AM

I have such a west coast attitude about bait--If it doesn't swim perfectly I won't fish it! But we aren't likely to get too many tuna through the ice! I have been focusing on some pretty hefty baits (no perch on them!) and may drop it down to the mediums. But I am in pretty good shape and don't really need the perch workout. I know that they use a lot of dead baits in the mid-west for pike. Has anyone tried this for the tigers & bass? I have done it a couple times (only on 1 line) without success.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:41 AM

I did try the mediums this weekend. The perch weren't too big a problem and I did catch a couple bass between 2 and 3 pounds--only 1 that size on the jig. The jig bite was slow at sunrise--first fish of the day was the bass, but at about 9 the jig bite was wide open until I left at about 10:30. Good quantity of fish and a variety of species.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:51 AM
Administrator

When I bought my medium shiners on friday the guy threw in a large one for good measure.

It lasted all weekend..I ended up with friday off, so it spent time in lake chauncey. Saturday it swam the waters of lake manchaug and sunday at A1.. Released there at end of day. He deserved it.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs up small jigs and big fish

I haven't ice fished in years. But, when I was a kid, I used to live for it.
There used to be this old timer who lived in Cherry Valley (leicester, ma) named Leo Perry who made these hand made ice jigs.
They were metal jigs, sort of similar to a pimple, but a little better. He showed me the following trick, and it turned out to be a killer on large pickerel, bass, and even trout.

Normally, these jigs came with a small hook if they were to be used for perch. He'd remove the small hook, and replace it with a slightly larger one. Then, he'd hook a medium size dead shiner through the lips, and jig with the "jig 'n shiner" combo.
This method was a killer, often outfishing my 4 tilts. Bass and pickerel would often slam this combo.
However, for trout, I'd substitute a small chub for the shiner. Winter trout seemed to prefer the chubs in winter over the shiners.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Somewhere off Route 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Parsons
When I bought my medium shiners on friday the guy threw in a large one for good measure.
It lasted all weekend..I ended up with friday off, so it spent time in lake chauncey. Saturday it swam the waters of lake manchaug and sunday at A1.. Released there at end of day. He deserved it.
Bob, Don't do that if you fish Wallum again. Under RI regs on Wallum, that's illegal and they can cite you for illegally "stocking" fish. I'm sure A1 already has shiners in it, just a heads up on RI... R'Man