Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Summer Monomoy Flies

Here are a batch of just tied Summer Monomoy and South Beach flies that I use. The eels are Juro Deep eels and the shrimp are Popovic epoxy shrimp. The Crabs are Cab Apples-Dark and light brown. These are the basic flies in my fly box..Simple but effective.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Big Kahuna

Nice John!
Thanks for sharing.

BTW: I'll be in town June 21,22,23,24 with the family. Hopefully we can meet up for some early morning fishing at the lighthouse.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:36 PM

Striblue, nice flies, can you sightfish Monomoy during late July-Early August? I'v been there once but conditions weren't great to sightfish, and i'd love to give it a try.

Mike
Old 05-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Just an observation...

Right on with the synthetic hair on the clousers. I've found, translucent fibers work much better out there on the sandy bottom. They look like mine, although I don't tie them as long...I only use bucktail when fishing deep channels, seems to push water better and hold shape better than the synthetics...

I would try to work the translucent attribute into your crab patterns. I've found, unless your working over grass, that is the key on the sand. At least for not spooking big fish, anyways....

I think we've talked about this before, not trying to knock the pattern, they're gorgeous!
Old 05-24-2004, 05:46 AM
Tyin' one on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by striblue
Here are a batch of just tied Summer Monomoy and South Beach flies that I use. The eels are Juro Deep eels and the shrimp are Popovic epoxy shrimp. The Crabs are Cab Apples-Dark and light brown. These are the basic flies in my fly box..Simple but effective.
Very nice flies! I especially like the crab apples - if I were a fish, I'd eat one!

><////(@> ><)))'>
Flyfishing + Saltwater= Empty Checking Account
Old 05-24-2004, 06:01 AM

I can attest to the Deep Eel it's a great pattern on the Flats. Nice work John.
FishHawk.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Jim.... I will plan on meeting you. Besure to e-mail me or PM me when the time gets close so we can hook up.....CapeMike...Yes, those are the times to sight fish..but it is very hard as most of the guys who fish there will tell you. The fish are swimming "somehwere" and are not always feeding...but at the right tides on the flats they can hunker down and you can hook up....MK.... I agre with you totally.... I fished years ago with a guy named Tom Thomas on North Monomoy who developed the Rattle crab just for north monomoy and it was tanish and whitish. The photo of the dark crab is too dark, but it is actually a lighter color than it appears... and the other is light brown. But I will have a bunch in different shades of brown. As you know there are several grassy areas on North. Last year..from a boat anchored near an outlet between North and South, I deep drifted the dark crab and hooked up ... I did have refusals...but if the schools were bigger than one's and two's... the competitive instinct took over...I guess.... and there were serious hits. I will, as you suggest ,make than lighter since I think they would be excellent.