Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-26-2004, 01:12 PM

wind direction

Here's another weather-related thread. What's everyone's experience with north vs. south winds? I know that the popular opinion is south/southwest is best. But does a north wind mean "forget it"? I've read that a north wind can kill the bite (for days even) I'm also noticing that the winds are supposed to blow from the north over the entire holiday weekend (though it's early to start changing plans, could change overnight). We all know that an onshore breeze is good, so would it make sense to fish the inner cape in a north wind? What's everyone's rule of thumb when it comes to factoring in wind direction?
Old 05-26-2004, 02:09 PM

I've found that the north wind brings tons of mung into my area. The mung effects the fishing, or its effects the way I fish and therfore effect how many fish I catch. Because I'm a wade fisherman, the wind direction often determines where I'm going to fish on a give day. Maybe my North wind spots are not as productive as my south wind spots?????
Old 05-26-2004, 02:32 PM

I like an Easterly

For Inshore, a mild easterly that blows the bait and game off Jeffries inshore is nice. Plus it blows the warmer surface water on shore. For Offshore, I prefer a west wind as it generally dies a few miles off the beach.

Northeast is usually pretty tough stuff. Ditto for northwest. (This Weekend ?) South west is pleasant enough.

Anyhting easterly I tend to like as long as it doesn't brew up. Poor for surfing though.

I tink fishing inshore is better after an easterly blow. I am in the Merrimack. Cape Shmape.