Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-03-2004, 08:34 AM

Middle Keys Tarpon Fishing

I'm heading to the Middle Keys on June 9 to visit a friend with a flats boat. We will probably fish unguided. He is not a fly fisherman and I'm looking for some advice on fly fishing for tarpon in the area. I consider myself a pretty experienced flats fisherman but have never fished for tarpon in the Keys. Here's a couple of questions: 1) most likely spots and times to find tarpon other than at the bridges? 2) recommended flies and fly line (floating versus slime versus intermediate)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:40 PM

Plop your boat about 100 yards offshore on the ocean side away from the bridges and as far away from other boats as possible. Try to put yourself either at the tip of a bend or far away from it. The fish migrate and when they hit land they bounce out from it.
They like to cruise in around 5-8 feet of water. Just sit and wait for them to swim by.
Floating or int.tip line. Try a small wiggly bunny fly in purple or rust with a little same color chenille flash in front and small slow sink eyes, or try any standard keys fly like a small Stu Apte fly or a Billy Pate Little Brown. Buy a couple pre-tied 20# biminis with 40-50# shock, or do it yourself if you can. Use a loop to fly.

Face land and watch from your left.
Jamm the hook in but good.
Bring gloves and don't bring the fish in the boat if you get one.
Good luck.

I'll be down there doing the same thing in the same place at the end of June.

Last edited by walter young; 06-05-2004 at 10:51 PM..
Old 06-07-2004, 06:58 PM

Thanks To Walter

Walter, thanks for the info. I'll do exactly as you say. I get the sense there will be other fisherman there to observe as well. Good luck on your trip. I'll let you know how we do.

Tim