Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Sponsor

Unhappy 6/16 Sound side report

Today I met Kyle and Dan for day 1 of a 2-day trip. We decided for quality over quantity and headed out into the sound. The weather was great for us, light wind, sun, just a great day to be OTW. However the fishing was nowhere near as good as the weather.

We hit every spot I could think of as we ran all the way around MV. Along the way we found some birds, some bait and a few fish. Nothing big, nothing worth putting allot of time in on. We would scrounge up a few rats or twinks and then move on. We were primarily fly fishing, but even a change to spinning gear failed to produce.

Areas that Kyle had done well on just a few days ago failed to produce more than a couple small fish today. My spots also failed to produce any significant fish. In one area where seeing fish is a good possibility we only saw a dozen or so over the course of a couple hours. Of the fish we saw only 2 were over 30” and most were around 20”.

This seems to be a trend this season. We get a strong blow one day and the next day the fishing is just plain terrible. Yesterday the wind howled and we got some storms around my house in Bourne. Today when things looked great the fish just seemed absent. This is the third of fourth time this season that the day after a strong blow has left me struggling to find fish. Even when we found a huge pod of rat blues, they were picky and really didn’t seem to want to eat.

If past practice is any indication tomorrow should yield plenty of fish. On the past occasions when we had a blow followed by a bad day, the third day returned to decent fishing. I just want to know, is it the pressure change, the wind scattering the bait or just bad luck that this happens the day after a big blow.

The water was near 60 everywhere. We fished from 5’ to 105’. Rocks, rips you name it we fished it. Nothing produced well. No one fly, lure or jig did much better than any other.

Final tally for the day a dozen or so fish, could have been more if we chose to stay on 2-4# rats. Overall a strong effort by all involved. I had two very competent casters on the boat, but the fish were tough to find, and the ones we did find chose not to eat. Tomorrow will be payback time.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 06-16-2004, 03:41 PM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

Terry,

Sometimes it's just not in the cards. You could have been sitting here at a desk like me!!!!!

I should have told you but I asked most of the fish in SE NE to move to the Chatham shoreline locations for the RT trip this weekend.

Maybe they already started heading up that way???
Old 06-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Cool

Geez,

Some days you can't even catch a 50 pounder... :mad:
Old 06-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide
Final tally for the day a 1/2 dozen or so fish, could have been more if we chose to stay on 1-2# rats. Overall a pathetic effort by me. I had a very incompetent caster on the boat, the fish were easy to find, but the ones I did flub casts to chose not to eat. Tomorrow will be More of the same.
I changed the last paragraph of your post a bit here so that it read a bit more like one of my own reports...
Old 06-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Big Kahuna

Keep the faith T !
The cream always rises to the top.
BTW: where are those Chatham fish Ruge? I'll be out there starting Monday for 4 days!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Seals ate them.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:43 PM

Terry,

You might want to give Billingsgate and Barnstable Harbor a try tomorrow. There has been constant action there for the past week.

Good luck to all!
TFS